Audio By Carbonatix
The onion wholesale and retail traders in Sunyani say they are incurring huge losses because of rising cost, resulting from the inability of haulage trucks to convey vegetable from Niger through Burkina Faso to Ghana.
According to the traders the situation had been caused by the Niger military takeover, the closure of the borders and the inability of the dealers to bring the commodity into the country.
Consequently, both traders and consumers of the vegetable in response to a Ghana News Agency (GNA) market survey at the Bono Regional capital’s central market have appealed to the government to collaborate with ECOWAS to allow the free movement of goods and services.
In that sense, they hoped the haulage trucks loaded with onion could be brought into the country to prevent the continuous astronomical price of the vegetable in the nation’s various markets.
Madam Joyce Afriyie, an onion seller told the GNA, that a black v-shaped average size rubber container full of onion had increased from GH¢100 to GH¢170 for more than two weeks now.
She expressed the fear that if the situation was not changed for the better, the price might increase to almost GH¢200 since a maxi-bag of the vegetable was now being bought at a wholesale price of more than GH¢1,800 instead of GH¢1000 previously and thus making it difficult for the traders to make profit out of sales.
“We may not have any option than to increase the price to any level that could not affect our business capitals because many of us borrowed from the banks and are paying interest at the end of every month,” Mad. Afriyie said.
Other traders and consumers the GNA spoke to expressed similar fears and concerns of skyrocketing price of the vegetable, saying that it could even affect prices of cooked food items because onion remained one of the main and indispensable spices in food preparation.
Latest Stories
-
Restaurant portions, surplus food worsening Ghana’s food waste problem — Food Scientist
6 minutes -
NPP extends 2026 National Officers Elections filing deadline to August 29
12 minutes -
NDC has not shown it can manage power sector effectively — Fiifi Boafo
16 minutes -
Ghana secured US$2.6bn FDIs in 2025 – GIPC Report
17 minutes -
GRIDCo restores power nationwide after August 20 blackout, says grid strengthening measures ongoing
30 minutes -
Journalism must prioritise public interest over attention — Kwesi Pratt
1 hour -
Ghana Mineworkers Union demand suspension of contract mining directive, threaten industrial action
2 hours -
ADB Ghana Medicals constructing and equipping new Cardiothoracic Centre at Komfo Anokye
2 hours -
AFREIKH Summer School challenges Africa to harness critical minerals
2 hours -
Government plans 2,000-acre pharmaceutical innovation park in Osudoku to boost local drug production
2 hours -
Partey undergoes medical ahead of Al Shabab move in Saudi Arabia
2 hours -
Today’s front pages: Friday, August 21, 2026
2 hours -
Power outages could drive up cost of digital services — NITA
2 hours -
Patients face basic sanitation gaps in West African health facilities — WHO / UNICEF
2 hours -
Competence has no age; let’s stop punishing new businesses
3 hours