Audio By Carbonatix
The former Director-General of the National Signals Bureau (NSB), Kwabena Adu Boahene, remains adamant about his innocence despite facing serious allegations of embezzling state funds.
This follows a court hearing on March 28, where his bail sum was reduced from GH¢120 million to GH¢80 million.
Mr Adu Boahene was escorted out in handcuffs when JoyNews’ Latif Iddrisu posed a direct question: "Are you sure you’re going to come out innocent?"
Mr Adu Boahene responded, "Definitely."
"I have not been charged with anything yet, none whatsoever," he added on Friday, March 28.
His confident stance comes amid accusations that he misappropriated $7 million meant for a cyber defence system and laundered funds through real estate investments.
The former security chief was arrested at the Kotoka International Airport (KIA) upon his return from London.
His wife, Angela Adjei Boateng, was also detained subsequently as she's believed to be a part of the private company they set up to siphon State funds.
In court, the Deputy Attorney General, Justice Srem Sai told the court that Mr Adu Boahene's wife allegedly attempted to destroy evidence by carting suspected currency bills into suitcases on the night of her husband's arrest.
While Attorney-General Dr Dominic Ayine insists the evidence against Adu-Boahene is damning, his defense team, led by Samuel Atta Akyea, is fighting to clear his name.
- Read also: Adu Boahene’s GH¢120m bail sum reduced to GH¢80m, court restricts couple’s movements
His wife, Angela Adjei Boateng's bail remains at GH¢80 million with two sureties to be justified.
Both of them are to report to the Economic and Organised Crime Office (EOCO) three times a week. The two have also been restricted from traveling and can only do so under the express permission of EOCO.
The couple, who were arrested last week over their alleged involvement in the embezzlement of State funds, filed a suit at the Human Rights Court on the basis that the bail conditions were excessive.
Samuel Atta Akyea, lead lawyer for the two, argued that the GH¢120 million bail demand for Adu-Boahene and GH¢80 million for his wife were not only excessive but also appeared designed to circumvent constitutional detention limits.
In Court on Friday, March 28, Samuel Atta Akyea Esq, made a strong case for a downward review of the bail conditions which were eventually granted.
Deputy Attorney-General Justice Srem Sai, however, argued that the two were flight risks as they're investigating a possible possession of foreign passports aside from their Ghanaian passports.
Latest Stories
-
Gov’t will not bow to pressure to restore old cocoa producer prices – Mahama Ayariga
31 minutes -
Ghana Medical Trust Fund saves ICT tutor’s life
46 minutes -
Family of rescued baby demands justice as Odododiodio MP urges stronger security measures
52 minutes -
This Saturday on Newsfile: Burkina Faso attack, Ofori-Atta off red notice and CJ’s petition dismissal
1 hour -
Ghana Link dismisses ‘missing’ transit truck claims
1 hour -
French soldier dies after being shot in the head during ‘game’ with other soldiers
1 hour -
Urgent research needed to tackle AI threats, says Google AI boss
1 hour -
Digital harassment against women MPs undermines democracy – GenCED
1 hour -
Birim North Police, Blue Water Guards arrest illegal chainsaw operators in dawn raid
1 hour -
Rare prison sentences handed to Cameroon soldiers after killing of 21 civilians
1 hour -
Birim North Police, Blue Water Guards arrest illegal chainsaw operators in dawn raid
1 hour -
Court remands Mamprobi baby thief as prosecution alleges syndicate plot
2 hours -
‘World Cup ticket isn’t a free pass’ – US Embassy warns Ghanaian fans against visa overstay
2 hours -
Christian Council of Ghana calls for inclusive justice on World Day of Social Justice
2 hours -
New Juaben South MCE visits family of victim of Burkina Faso attack
2 hours
