Audio By Carbonatix
The Africa Centre for Security and Counterterrorism (ACSC) is calling on government and security agencies to update the public on several cocaine seizures that occurred in the first quarter of 2025.
In a press release issued Monday, 5 May, the centre called for immediate public briefing and accountability from state institutions.
Ghana’s security agencies had earlier intercepted two major drug consignments: a $350 million, 3.3-tonne cocaine bust by the National Intelligence Bureau (NIB) and another seizure worth $150 million on the Takoradi-Cape Coast Highway.
Public concern also grew over suspicious aircraft landings at Kotoka International Airport, which led to a presidential committee probe.
While these seizures were initially welcomed, the ACSC says the lack of follow-up information is worrying. “Two months have passed without substantive updates on prosecutions, judicial proceedings, or the secure storage of these seized substances,” the centre said.
The centre questioned the whereabouts of suspects from the $350 million case, the status of prosecutions, and the security of the seized cocaine.
The group also demanded to know what the Kotoka Airport committee uncovered, why its findings remain unpublished, and what safeguards are in place to prevent tampering with evidence.
“These questions are not merely academic,” the centre warned, noting that Ghana’s role as a drug transit point threatens democratic institutions through corruption and weak accountability.
The ACSC called for public updates on all Q1 drug cases, independent verification of seized substances, stronger parliamentary oversight, and transparency in court proceedings. It also urged the government to publish the Kotoka Airport report without delay.
“When a democratic government becomes opaque about such issues of national importance,” the statement concluded, “citizens have reason to question whether state institutions are complicit in enabling smugglers.”
Latest Stories
-
Health, educational institutions in deprived communities get free cement from Ghacem
7 minutes -
Court grants GH¢63.5m bail to ex-NAFCO CEO and wife in alleged corruption trial
20 minutes -
GSA shuts down 4 companies in Afienya over substandard mattresses
47 minutes -
Theo Dzimega defends judge’s discretion in Abronye DC bail, criticises Afenyo-Markin’s remarks
51 minutes -
Ghana Bar Association rejects ‘NPP’ tag by Ofosu Kwakye
1 hour -
Hindsight: What next for the women’s relay team after African Championships?
1 hour -
World Vision launches 5-year water and sanitation programme in Wa
1 hour -
Opinion: Mahama must reshuffle his cabinet now to save the NDC from internal cracks
2 hours -
We’ll not condone such acts – GBA condemns Afenyo-Markin’s judge attack
2 hours -
One shot dead, 7 others injured at galamsey site in Bibiani Anhwiaso Bekwai
2 hours -
Two men arrested over stunt at enclosure of famous monkey Punch
2 hours -
Belgian ex-diplomat Davignon dies before trial over Lumumba assassination
2 hours -
Dembele having treatment for calf strain, say PSG
2 hours -
Ghana placed in Pot 2 ahead of 2027 AFCON qualifying draw
3 hours -
Elon Musk loses lawsuit against OpenAI
3 hours