Audio By Carbonatix
The Ghana Education Trust Fund (GETFund) has cautioned the public against dealing with impostors who extort money under the guise of securing scholarships.
In a statement issued on Wednesday, 4 February 2026, GETFund said its attention had been drawn to allegations made by Mr Kofi Ofosu Nkansah, former Chief Executive Officer of the National Entrepreneurship and Innovation Plan (NEIP), during a panel discussion on Sompa FM/TV.
The Fund stressed that its scholarship scheme operates under strict guidelines and is transparent and merit-based.
“We wish to state with emphasis that GETFund scholarships constitute five per cent (5%) of its annual allocation. The Fund ensures a very stringent and transparent process for awarding the scholarships to deserving students. All beneficiaries are selected through a merit-based criterion,” the statement said.
GETFund categorically rejected the allegation that scholarships, whether local or foreign, are being sold.
In the statement, the Fund also warned that individuals claiming to sell GETFund scholarships are fraudsters and urged the public to report them.
“We further wish to advise the public to report any impostors purporting to have scholarships for sale to the appropriate security agencies and info@getfund.gov.gh,” the statement said.
GETFund emphasised that its scholarship programmes are not for sale and are awarded strictly on merit through established procedures.
The GETFund challenged individuals making claims about the sale of scholarships to provide evidence, warning that it will take legal action if the allegations persist.
“We hereby demand that any individual making such baseless claims must be ready to provide evidence to substantiate their allegations,” the Fund stated.
“Should these false accusations persist, GETFund will be compelled to pursue all available legal remedies to protect its reputation and ensure that any defamatory statements are addressed appropriately,” the statement said.
The Fund reaffirmed its commitment to integrity, transparency and national development through education.
“The Fund values its role in advancing education and will continue to prioritise fairness, merit, and the long-term development of Ghana's educational landscape,” it noted.
GETFund assured students and stakeholders that all necessary steps will be taken to protect the credibility of its scholarship process and safeguard applicants from exploitation.
“All necessary steps will be taken to uphold the integrity of the GETFund scholarship process,” the statement concluded.
The Fund's statement comes after the presidency ordered an immediate investigation into allegations that Ghana’s overseas scholarship system may have been compromised, following claims aired on the radio that an individual was paid to secure a scholarship to study abroad.
The directive, issued on Tuesday and signed by the Secretary to the President, Dr Callistus Mahama, instructs the National Investigation Bureau (NIB) to probe what the Presidency describes as a matter of “grave public concern.”
Read Also: Scholarships for sale? – Presidency triggers NIB probe after explosive radio allegation
“The President considers the allegation to be serious and of grave public concern,” the statement said, noting that the matter directly touches on the government’s stated commitment to “transparency, integrity, and equal access to educational opportunities.”
Latest Stories
-
Dr Abena Nyarkoa to join panel discussion at Africa Together Conference in Cambridge
2 hours -
Walmart warns US shoppers are cutting spending as higher petrol prices bite
3 hours -
Flexible exchange rate regime critical in absorbing external shocks – First Deputy Governor
3 hours -
Toilets and changing rooms must be used on basis of biological sex, guidance confirms
3 hours -
Emily in Paris to end after sixth season, says Netflix
3 hours -
Angry crowd sets Ebola hospital tents on fire in DR Congo
3 hours -
Russia and China condemn US over indictment of former Cuban leader
3 hours -
Bank of Ghana reverts to previous Cash Reserve Ratio policy after scrapping it last year
3 hours -
Ghana-eligible defender Beres Owusu signs permanent deal with Grazer AK
4 hours -
A Super El Niño is coming: What does it mean for Ghana?
4 hours -
Driving Schools Association pushes for mandatory driver training to reduce road crashes
4 hours -
Climate change exists with or without humans — Youth advocate
4 hours -
Plastic waste driving flooding and climate concerns in Bamaahu — Youth Climate Reporter
5 hours -
This week on The Career Trail
5 hours -
My book was born out of university research – Mary Anane Awuku
5 hours