Audio By Carbonatix
The family of former Dome-Kwabenya MP Sarah Adwoa Safo has expressed concern over the decision to grant bail to her younger brother, Israel Kwadwo Safo Akofena, and eight others who are facing charges in connection with a shooting incident at Kwabenya in Accra on Sunday, June 21.
The Adenta Circuit Court on Tuesday, June 23, granted each of the nine accused persons bail in the sum of GH¢500,000 with two sureties.
Mr Akofena reported himself to the Greater Accra Regional Police Headquarters on June 22, a day after the incident, and was subsequently handed over to the Criminal Investigations Department for questioning.
Speaking at a brief press conference at the 37 Military Hospital hours after the court proceedings, a family member, Nana Pomaa Nyira, said they were unhappy with the court's decision to grant bail.
According to her, the family fears for its safety, alleging that their lives remain at risk while Akofena is out on bail. She appealed to the Inspector-General of Police (IGP) and other relevant authorities to intervene and ensure the safety of the former MP and her relatives.
Below is a video of her claim
Meanwhile, police investigations reportedly led to the retrieval of 120 rounds of 9mm ammunition, 50 rounds of .45 calibre ammunition, 25 rounds of .40 calibre ammunition, loaded magazines, and two Glock pistols from Akofena's vehicle and residence at Kwabenya. One of the pistols is said to be registered in his name.
Two additional suspects, Nana Kwaku Afriyie and Kwadwo Safo Koomson, were later arrested, bringing the total number of accused persons to nine, including six private security personnel who had earlier been detained at the scene.
The case has been adjourned to a later date for further proceedings as investigations continue.
READ ALSO: Adwoa Safo’s brother, eight others granted GH¢500,000 bail over Kwabenya shooting incident
Adwoa Safo is receiving medical treatment at the 37 Military Hospital after surviving the shooting incident.
Latest Stories
-
Africa not seeking Western cash in reparations campaign – Ablakwa
5 seconds -
Production decline, reserve depletion threaten Ghana’s upstream sector – Jinapor
5 minutes -
Surveyors caution against treating compensation disputes as professional misconduct
7 minutes -
Mahama calls for AU dialogue on migration after South Africa xenophobic tensions
12 minutes -
I haven’t experienced any envy in the gospel music industry — Ohemaa Mercy
2 hours -
Prayer does not solve everything — Ohemaa Mercy
2 hours -
New PURC office symbolises stronger consumer protection – Dr Jinapor
2 hours -
Rev. Wengam re-elected Assemblies of God, Ghana General SuperintendentÂ
2 hours -
Less than 20km of clearing left to connect Accra-Kumasi Expressway to Kumasi – Agbodza
2 hours -
US judge strikes down policy suspending immigrant visa processing for 75 nations
3 hours -
MCEs collecting fees from galamseyers are facilitating illegality – Ken Ashigbey
3 hours -
Developer LMI Holdings commits to completing first 700 Saglemi housing units
3 hours -
Africa’s next chapter will be built by institution-builders, not idea-havers
3 hours -
Wenchi Traditional Council suspends Twafohene indefinitely Â
4 hours -
Kpassa-Merimeri road undergoes filling and levelling works to improve accessibility
4 hours