Audio By Carbonatix
Two-time world champion Zolani Tete has been shot dead outside his home in South Africa.
The 38‑year‑old was killed in what has been described as an ambush in Mdantsane, Eastern Cape on Friday.
Officials said Tete was in his car waiting for the gate to his house to open when two armed suspects in balaclavas emerged from a vehicle and fired "multiple shots" at him and a 27‑year‑old female passenger, who remains in hospital.
South Africa's minister of sport, arts and culture, Gayton McKenzie, said: "South Africa has lost one of the finest fighters it has ever produced."
The two suspects fled the scene and a major investigation has been launched, McKenzie added.
Tete held the WBO bantamweight title from 2017 to 2019, as well as the IBF super-flyweight title in 2014.
Tete beat Liverpool's Paul Butler in 2015 in one of the eight times he fought in the United Kingdom.
He also holds a Guinness World Record for the fastest knockout in a title fight, ending his match with Siboniso Gonya inside 11 seconds in 2017.
Tete last fought in July 2022, beating Briton Jason Cunningham by knockout In London, but it was later ruled a no-contest after he failed a drugs test.
He tested positive for anabolic steroid stanozolol and was given a four-year ban by the UK Anti-Doping Agency.
His ban ended on 29 July, 2026 and after his death, manager Mla Tengimfene confirmed he had been training for a comeback fight.
Tete had 29 wins in 34 fights, with four losses and one no-contest.
'Wonderful boxer' - Inoue & more offer tributes

Japanese fighter Naoya Inoue said Tete was a "wonderful boxer".
"I hope the world is peaceful. And please, rest in peace," he said.
John Riel Casimero, who took the WBO bantamweight belt from Tete in November 2019, said he was "shocked" and "heartbroken" over his death.
"We shared the canvas and pushed each other to be our absolute best inside the squared ring. A true warrior and champion. Rest in peace, champ. Prayers with your family and loved ones," he said.
Tete's manager Mlandeli Tengimfene confirmed the fighter had been preparing for a return to the ring on 29 November.
"Zolani is gone at a time we thought he was going to resuscitate his career," he told the South African Broadcasting Corporation.
"The news is devastating, I must say."
Sanctioning body the WBO said it mourned the passing of its former champion.
"We extend our deepest condolences to his family, friends, loved ones and the entire South African boxing community during this incredibly difficult time," a social media post said.
"Rest in peace, champion."
Latest Stories
-
Accra-Kumasi Expressway almost complete – Roads Minister
2 minutes -
ECG announces temporary power outages in parts of Tema and Ashanti Regions
27 minutes -
Somalia child hunger crisis deepens after aid cuts, UNICEF says
27 minutes -
Media urged to help shape Constituency Games implementation
34 minutes -
Accra’s only public horse racing course destroyed at Borteyman
40 minutes -
Dozens of people abducted in attacks on villages in Nigeria, police say
50 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Mfantsiman Girls’ bounce back from 2025 prelims exit to book one-eighth spot
54 minutes -
Africa’s $9 trillion lithium bonanza: Can Africa turn its mineral wealth into a global economic powerhouse?
1 hour -
16,000 shea seedlings planted at Pavuu in Upper West region to restore degraded landscapes
1 hour -
Fourteen killed in strike on Myanmar monastery
1 hour -
Two-time world champion Tete shot dead outside home
1 hour -
Father leaves 7-year-old son alone on Mount Fuji to continue hike
1 hour -
CMC Managing Director launches 24-hour operating model
1 hour -
Carney faces crucial test after walking away from Trump’s deal
1 hour -
Compensation claim differences don’t prove misconduct or deliberate inflation – GhIS replies Roads Minister
1 hour