Audio By Carbonatix
The International Olympic Committee is to investigate BBC claims of corruption against Fifa Vice-President Issa Hayatou, also an IOC member, it says.
It has asked the BBC to give any evidence of alleged bribery, following the screening of its Panorama programme.
Panorama alleged Mr Hayatou and two other Fifa officials voting on World Cup bids took bribes in the 1990s.
Fifa, world football's governing body, has dismissed the claims.
The IOC has said it will refer the matter to its ethics commission.
"The IOC has taken note of the allegations made by BBC Panorama and will ask the programme makers to pass on any evidence they may have to the appropriate authorities. The IOC has a zero tolerance against corruption and will refer the matter to the IOC Ethics Commission," it said.
Fifa issued a statement, saying the allegations referred to events that had taken place before the year 2000 and had been investigated by the Swiss authorities.
"In its verdict of 26 June 2008, the Criminal Court of Zug had not convicted any Fifa officials. It is therefore important to stress again the fact that no Fifa officials were accused of any criminal offence in these proceedings."
The BBC Panorama, broadcast on Monday, alleged that Fifa officials Issa Hayatou - Confederation of African Football chief, from Cameroon - Nicolas Leoz, from Paraguay, and Ricardo Teixeira, from Brazil, took bribes from a sport marketing firm which was awarded lucrative World Cup rights.
The men will vote this week on the 2018 and 2022 World Cup bids.
They have not responded to Panorama's allegations. England is competing with Russia, Spain/Portugal and Netherlands/Belgium to host the 2018 tournament.
The alleged bribes to the three members of Fifa's executive committee were paid by sports marketing company International Sport and Leisure (ISL) and date from 1989 to 1999, Panorama alleged. The company collapsed in 2001.
Fifa granted ISL exclusive rights to market World Cup tournaments to some of the world's biggest brands, and ISL received millions more from negotiating television broadcast rights.
Source: BBC
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
‘If you want to imprison me over my friendship with Bawumia, go ahead’ – Rev. Kusi Boateng
9 minutes -
Wontumi Out, COKA In: How NPP’s new Ashanti chairman differs from his predecessor
2 hours -
With unity, we will win 2028 election – Bawumia
2 hours -
‘The restoration begins’ – Okoe Boye pledges to rebuild NPP in Greater Accra
2 hours -
Ghana, Netherlands deepen cooperation to tackle illicit drug trade
3 hours -
One dead, eight injured in head-on crash on Kasoa–Winneba Road
3 hours -
Cedi stages strong recovery as dollar supply improves, demand eases
3 hours -
Duncan-Williams warns galamsey could endanger Ghana’s future generations
3 hours -
Fire ravages wooden structures at Tantra Hill’s Golden Door area
3 hours -
Petrol prices to drop today with diesel up in mixed pump price review
3 hours -
Okoe Boye will help NPP win more seats in Greater Accra – Bawumia
3 hours -
I am open to work with everyone to win 2028 — Bawumia
3 hours -
Peace, security practitioners tasked to deepen stakeholder collaboration
3 hours -
Public pay system must balance fair wages with fiscal sustainability – Government
3 hours -
Niharika Handa makes history as King Faisal’s first female Board Chair
3 hours