Audio By Carbonatix
Following pockets of election-related attacks in parts of the country, the National Elections Taskforce Committee has promised to get tough on violence ahead of the December polls.
Coordinator of the Taskforce, Chief Superintendent Benjamin Agordzor, said the relevant security agencies have been involved in the strategy to deal with criminal violence that is related to the general elections.
“Irrespective of who is involved, the law must take its course. We are not looking at the person involved or from any political perspective or background,” he said.
His comments on Newsnight on Joy FM on Thursday come on the back of a gun violence between the supporters of the opposition New Patriotic Party (NPP) and the incumbent National Democratic Congress (NDC).
Supporters of the two major parties clashed shortly after a mammoth rally had been organised by the NPP on Tuesday.
Both parties have provided conflicting accounts of what triggered the chaos but three people believed to be supporters of the NPP were arrested and remanded by the James Town Police which triggered another bout of chaos.
Greater Accra Regional Minister, Nii Laryea Afotey Agbo, who also heads the regional Security Command, told Joy News two supporters of the NDC were shot at close range from the back and are receiving treatment in the hospital.
According to him, the bullets had to be extracted from the bodies of the victims in a very painful operation.
Also, recently, the private bodyguard of the Independent Parliamentary Candidate for Sunyani East, Mr George Kumi is reported to have disrupted a debate organised by National Commission on Civic Education (NCCE) for Parliamentary Candidates contesting for the seat.
According to the report, shortly before the commencement of the debate, a violent clash ensued among supporters of the Independent Candidate and that of the NPP Candidate.
Speaking on the two incidents on Newsnight, Chief Superintendent Benjamin Agordzor said the Taskforce is on high alert to deal with such violence.
“We are observing that very seriously. We have been speaking to the Regional Commander of Accra and other district commanders involved in this and we are satisfied with the action they have taken so far,” he said.
He urged state institutions to involve the police in any elections-related activity.
Latest Stories
-
Keeny Ice celebrates landmark Wembley performance, thanks Stonebwoy after BHIM Festival UK
14 minutes -
GoldBod hasn’t made any losses; Afenyo-Markin’s claim is ‘hallucinatory’ — Sammy Gyamfi
29 minutes -
Black Star International Film Festival unveils 2026 key art
36 minutes -
Trump threatens Oman over Iran talks as efforts to reopen Strait of Hormuz continue
40 minutes -
DBG to develop tailored financing tools to drive Ghana’s oil palm industry
42 minutes -
Majority Leader James Agalga visits NYA CEO Osman Ayariga to discuss issues of youth development
45 minutes -
NPP Greater Accra chairmanship is preparation for bigger political assignment– Okoe Boye
51 minutes -
A Ghanaian PhD student at Texas Tech University advocates stronger protection for AI Data workers in Africa
1 hour -
Berekuso chief appeals to Mahama over deplorable Katesi-Berekuso-Dome-Kwabenya road
1 hour -
Freda Kingful Abraham Cudjoe: The visionary founder building a creative legacy through Impakers Creative Hub
1 hour -
Tanker drivers suspend strike after BOST commits to fix Kumasi depot challenges
1 hour -
Photos: Stonebwoy’s BHIM Festival at OVO Arena Wembley, London
2 hours -
BoG identifies $4.8bn annual SME financing gap, pushes digital data-driven lending
2 hours -
Labone bank robbery suspect remanded
2 hours -
NTC launches 2026 Ghana Teacher Prize to celebrate outstanding educators
2 hours