Audio By Carbonatix
A Kumasi Circuit court on Friday remanded into prison custody one of the key suspects in a case in which a 27-year old woman was stripped naked and molested publicly for stealing at Kejetia in Kumasi.
Kwasi Gyamfi, 28, pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit crime and indecent assault charges as an explanation.
But the court, presided by His Worship Adams Seidu remanded him into prison custody for two weeks to re-appear on March 15, 2017.
Mr Gyamfi, a driver, plies between Kumasi and Abuakwa turned himself in last Wednesday after he has was declared wanted by the police.
It follows wild public condemnation after a video of the assault on the lady went viral on social media.
The disturbing video starts at a point where the young lady had been stripped of her clothes. She had covered her waist with a yellow scarf given to her by a good Samaritan, but it was removed.
Another woman who offered a dress was shoved off and the young lady was not allowed to put it on.
The mob made up mostly of men, tore the young lady’s red brassiere and panty. At a point in the video, the accused spread her legs open and kicked her private part many times.
Attempts by the young lady to prevent the mob from hitting her private part was met with even harder beatings.
Mr Gyamfi told police in his caution statement he opened the thighs of the complainant because he admired a tattoo drawn in that sensitive part of the 27-year old woman.
Police had granted bail to 22 others who have been arrested in an earlier swoop.
Prosecuting, ACP Asumadu Okyere-Darko who also doubles as the Ashanti Regional Judicial Police Officer (JUPOL) pleaded with the court to remand the accused to enable police to conduct further investigations.
The Ashanti Regional Police Command has served notice it would go ahead and prosecute all persons found culpable to have assaulted and molested lady though the victim has since not showed up to assist in police investigations.
Deputy Public Relations Officer, Chief Inspector Godwin Ahianyoh told Nhyira News Wednesday that they have enough evidence to prosecute the matter in her absence.
Latest Stories
-
Prince Harry and Meghan moving back to UK
35 minutes -
Ghana’s output expansion largely driven by labour, capital rather than innovation – Opoku-Afari
38 minutes -
Ghana is ready for nuclear power adoption – Gov’t affirmsÂ
43 minutes -
GJA@77: Media-government partnership vital to Ghana’s democracy – Shamima Muslim
55 minutes -
LUV FM High School Debate: Opoku Ware and St. Hubert Seminary book quarterfinal spots
1 hour -
Stronger research, industry linkages needed to build a competitive digital economy – Deloitte Technology Senior Manager
1 hour -
Economy experience high but unbalanced growth from mid-2000 to 2022 debt crisis – Former 1st Deputy Governor
1 hour -
Tell Your Story: Political, business and industry leaders to share journey with young Ghanaians
1 hour -
‘Gold cannot save you at 2am’ – Obuobia Darko challenges mining giants to invest in healthcare
2 hours -
Wontumi’s incarceration will not stop his chairmanship bid – Palgrave
2 hours -
Eurobond borrowings over 2007-2021 used for budget financing; Ghana borrowed US$15.59bn – Opoku-Afari
2 hours -
Newborn baby found in dustbin at Kasoa Main Station toilet
2 hours -
Ghanaian skincare brand KAEME wins DHL ESG Excellence Exporter of the Year award
3 hours -
Ho Communique: Democracy Not for Sale
3 hours -
National Health Insurance Levy Uncapped: The Game Changer  Â
3 hours