Audio By Carbonatix
The Court of Appeal on Wednesday adjourned indefinitely the case in which the Attorney-General has appealed against the acquittal and discharge of 15 persons accused of murdering the Ya-Na and others in March, 2002.
Adjourning the case, the court, presided over by Mr Justice G. M. Owusu with Mr Justice Isaac Duose and Mr Justice Senyo Dzamefe as panel members, said it had been informed by the Registrar of the court that the Registrar had received a letter from the respondents indicating that they were unaware of the appeal and had also not been served with the process.
A Principal State Attorney, Mrs Evelyn Keelson, who represented the Attorney General's Department, confirmed to the court that the respondents had not been served.
The court, therefore, adjourned the case sine die for the respondents to be served with a copy of the appeal notices.
On March 29, 2011, the Accra Fast Track High Court, presided over by Mr Justice E. K. Ayebi, an Appeal Court Judge sitting as an additional High Court judge, acquitted and discharged the 15 accused persons on the grounds that state prosecutors failed to prove a prima facie case against them to warrant them to open their defence on the allegations levelled against them.
The accused persons were charged with conspiracy in the murder of the Overlord of Dagbon, Ya-Na Yakubu Andani II.
They are Iddrisu Iddi, Alhaji Baba Iddrisu Abdulai, Kwame Alhassan, Mohammed Abdulai, Sayibu Mohammed, Alhassan Braimah and the former District Chief Executive (DCE) of Yendi, Alhaji Mohammed Habib Tijani.
The rest are Alhassan Mohammed Braimah, Abukari Nabeli, Mohammed Mustapha, Yakubu Yusif, Abdul Razak Yussif, Shani Imoro, Baba Ibrahim and Ahmed Abukari.
They pleaded not guilty to the charge. Additionally, the court further discharged one other suspect, Zakaria Yakubu, who was said to be at large and who was facing an additional charge of murdering the Ya-Na, for not being part of the trial process.
The decision followed a verdict of not guilty entered by a seven-member jury for all the 15 accused persons.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Mali renews Barrick Mining’s Loulo license for 10 more years
38 minutes -
Gender pay gap won’t close for another 30 years, warns UK trade unions group
48 minutes -
No free pass for internet platforms on child safety, Starmer says
59 minutes -
Andrew’s time as trade envoy should be investigated, says Vince Cable
1 hour -
‘Trump will be gone in three years’: Top Democrats try to reassure Europe
1 hour -
Cuban cigar festival called off as US blockade worsens energy crisis
2 hours -
Head of Dubai-based ports giant quits after Epstein links revealed
2 hours -
Nigeria’s state-owned NNPC records $4.2 billion after-tax profit in 2025
2 hours -
French tourist found dead in Chad after falling off cliff
2 hours -
Asuogyaman MP commissions four projects, breaks ground for more on birthday
2 hours -
GNFS averts potential petrol tanker explosion at Aveme Junction
2 hours -
Ferocious fire at Agatex Paint Factory in Ho contained
3 hours -
MTN Ghana drives nationwide blood mobilisation in partnership with Ho Teaching Hospital
3 hours -
MTN Ghana leads lifesaving blood drive as Ho Teaching Hospital warns of critical shortages
3 hours -
KNUST dominate maiden SEEDAfrique Relay Open Championship in Kumasi
3 hours
