Audio By Carbonatix
Four persons, including two senior officers of the Customs Division of the Ghana Revenue Authority (GRA), have been sentenced to a total of 28 years by the Sekondi High Court for diverting GH¢520,000 belonging to the GRA into their private pockets.
Arnold Djameh, accountant, and Nicholas Atsu Yevu, deputy accountant, both attached to CEPS Takoradi Collection, were sentenced on Tuesday to serve four years and eight years in prison, respectively.
The other two convicts, Anthony Angoe, the shipping manager of the Ghana Cement Company (Ghacem), and Ben Adu Blankson, a clearing clerk with EMBA Links, were also committed to serve eight years each.
One other CEPS officer, Nicholas Atsu Yevu, is said to have jumped bail and bolted to the United States of America with his family and was sentenced in absentia.
The case for the prosecution, led by a Principal Chief State Attorney, Mr George Kpodo, was that the four were able to divert the amount, which was duty on imported clinker and was supposed to go into government coffers through CEPS.
According to the prosecution, the import duty on clinker for Ghacem from Norway was normally prepared by Blankson of EMBA Link, a contracted agency of Ghacem, and handed over to Angoe.
Angoe then caused cheques to be drawn by GHACEM to CEPS for the payment of the duty and returned the cheques to Blankson, who would put a declaration on them and subsequently submitted them to the bank for payment, after the cheques had been confirmed by either Yevu or Djameh on various occasions.
After the payments were done, the four formulated ways to repeat the whole process using the same documents.
The subsequent rounds of the cheques were then handed over to the two CEPS officials who received cash payments from private and individual importers up to the tune of the GHACEM cheques at their disposal and used them to clear the goods of the individual importers.
The cash collected by the two CEPS officials from the individuals to the tune of the face value of the Ghacem cheques was shared among those involved in the deal.
While the others denied their involvement in the deal, Angoe admitted receiving GH¢170,000 as his share of the booty, which he promised to refund.
Yevu, Djameh, as well as Blankson, who had denied their involvement in the deal, however, agreed to refund an amount of GH¢520,000.
The prosecution said until they were convicted, the four managed to pay only GH¢145,000 out of the total figure through their respective lawyers.
Angoe paid GH¢20,000, Yevu and Djameh together paid GH¢90,000, while Blankson paid GH¢35,000.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Akwatia MP accuses Minority of shifting GoldBod debate from facts to personal attacks
1 second -
Gov’t to spend GH¢2.8bn on secondary infrastructure as Education Minister pushes foundational learning
16 minutes -
This is the result of GoldBod activities – Akim Oda MP demand answers over $1.7bn loss
29 minutes -
Photos: Sammy Gyamfi at Government Accountability Series
44 minutes -
Ghana School of Law SRC President-elect petitions authorities for relief for referred students
51 minutes -
Promasidor Ghana unveils Onga Mix Tomato Paste, names Diana Hamilton brand ambassador
1 hour -
‘You admitted the loss, now account for the GH¢22bn’ – Minority hits back at GoldBod CEO
1 hour -
Gender Department raises alarm over rising teenage pregnancy in Ashanti Region
1 hour -
GJA@77: Ethical journalism foundation for strong, resilient democracies – UK Deputy High Commissioner
1 hour -
Police pickup carrying suspects crashes into trotro on KNUST campus, several injured
1 hour -
AMA Mayor apologises to alleged extortion victim, orders refund
1 hour -
Akwatia MP defends GoldBod, says IMF report didn’t blame it for losses
2 hours -
Building community after a merger: What UniMAC’s concord initiative can teach higher education
2 hours -
UN security official meets GoldBod CEO Sammy Gyamfi
2 hours -
Two detained after French influencer’s scorched body found in vineyard
2 hours