Audio By Carbonatix
The Koforidua High Court has sentenced two brothers, Ayitey Tetteh and Ayitey Angmor, to death by hanging.
The two, who pleaded not guilty to charges of conspiracy and murder of their relative, Fiagbor Larweh, were found guilty by a seven-member jury.
Larweh’s bullet-ridden body was found on a farm at Sappor, a farming community near Akosombo, on October 5, 2007.
Three others, Awosayo Angbor, Felix Teye and Stephen Odonkor, who were initially apprehended with the convicts in connection with Larweh’s death, were acquitted and discharged for lack of evidence.
Before sentencing the convicts, the presiding judge, Mr Justice Kossi Efo Kaglo, summed up the proceedings of the trial, which started in 2010, during which a number of witnesses were called.
He then took the jurors, made up of three women and four men, through the rudiments of trial by jury.
He told them that as laymen, they were to be judges of facts, not of the law, and that they should not base their findings on suggestions, speculations or ethnicity but facts before the court.
Justice Kaglo further advised the jurors to prove beyond all reasonable doubt that the culprits were those who had killed Larweh and that the slightest doubt in that respect must go in favour of the convicts, since the penalty was death.
He then requested the jurors to retire to a room within the court building to determine the fate of the convicts and, after about 30 minutes, they returned with a unanimous decision of guilty for the convicts.
Ayitey Tetteh and Ayitey Angmor, who sat motionless during the proceedings, were heard saying quietly in Krobo that they had no hand in the death of their relative before they were taken away by prison officers on their journey of no return.
Earlier, a State Attorney, Ms Akpene Morteh, had told the court that Larweh, who was living outside the Krobo area, visited one of his relatives, Francis Fiagbor, at Nuaso, near Odumase-Krobo, and that on October 5, 2007 he left Nuaso to visit the convicts at Sappor.
She said when Larweh did not return, enquiries were made from the convicts, who said although Larweh had been with them, he boarded a vehicle back to Nuaso.
Ms Morteh further told the court that the convicts did not assist in the search for Larweh, whose bullet-ridden body was found on a farm at Sappor, after which a report was made to the police, who arrested the two.
She said evidence in respect of the murder incriminated the two.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Ghanaian skincare brand KAEME wins DHL ESG Excellence Exporter of the Year award
14 minutes -
Communique: Democracy Not for Sale Forum – Ho Edition
34 minutes -
National Health Insurance Levy Uncapped: The Game Changer
35 minutes -
Akwatia MP accuses Minority of shifting GoldBod debate from facts to personal attacks
48 minutes -
Gov’t to spend GH¢2.8bn on secondary infrastructure as Education Minister pushes foundational learning
1 hour -
This is the result of GoldBod activities – Akim Oda MP demand answers over $1.7bn loss
1 hour -
Photos: Sammy Gyamfi at Government Accountability Series
2 hours -
Ghana School of Law SRC President-elect petitions authorities for relief for referred students
2 hours -
Promasidor Ghana unveils Onga Mix Tomato Paste, names Diana Hamilton brand ambassador
2 hours -
‘You admitted the loss, now account for the GH¢22bn’ – Minority hits back at GoldBod CEO
2 hours -
Gender Department raises alarm over rising teenage pregnancy in Ashanti Region
2 hours -
GJA@77: Ethical journalism foundation for strong, resilient democracies – UK Deputy High Commissioner
2 hours -
Police pickup carrying suspects crashes into trotro on KNUST campus, several injured
2 hours -
AMA Mayor apologises to alleged extortion victim, orders refund
2 hours -
Akwatia MP defends GoldBod, says IMF report didn’t blame it for losses
2 hours