Audio By Carbonatix
Eight people suspected to be members of a car-snatching syndicate have been arrested by the police.
Seven of the suspects were arrested in Accra and one at Agona Swedru in the Central Region.
The suspects have been identified as Kojo Baffour Manu, whose age was not given; Theophilus Opare, 25; Michael Mensah, 22; Henry Doudoo, 29, who claims to be a teacher, Emmanuel Kluttey Roberson, 24.
The rest are James Safo, 32, James Worwu, 23, and Salisu Dauda, 36.
Dauda is said to have snatched six cars, one of which was retrieved at the time of his arrest while he was said to have given out two others for use as taxis. The vehicle retrieved from Dauda at the time of his arrest bore a wrong registration number plate of GE 2789-12.
The other suspects are also said to have snatched six different cars on different occasions.
While Manu was arrested at Nsawam, Dauda (believed to be the leader of a gang of car snatchers) was arrested at Agona Swedru in the Central Region and the rest were arrested at Caprice and Pokuase.
At a press conference in Accra last Tuesday, the Deputy Regional Police Commander, Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCOP), Mr Christian Tetteh Yohuno, said Manu was arrested on September 8, this year at a mechanic shop at N sakyir, near Aburi, where he had gone to sell the car.
He said after his arrest, Manu led the police to arrest the other accomplices with the exception of Salisu Dauda.
He said two of the cars - a Madza saloon car with registration number AS 7808 W, and a Toyota Corolla with a trial plate, DP39414, had so far been retrieved from the seven suspects.
Mr Yohuno said the suspects often disguised themselves as passengers to board a taxi but upon reaching a favourable location, attacked the drivers with machetes and guns and snatched the cars from them.
He advised car owners to install tracking devices on their vehicles to enable the police to trace the vehicles in case they got snatched.
With regard to Dauda, Mr Yohuno said the police arrested him at a hotel in Swedru where he had taken a snatched car to meet a prospective buyer.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Ghanaian skincare brand KAEME wins DHL ESG Excellence Exporter of the Year award
12 minutes -
Communique: Democracy Not for Sale Forum – Ho Edition
32 minutes -
National Health Insurance Levy Uncapped: The Game Changer
33 minutes -
Akwatia MP accuses Minority of shifting GoldBod debate from facts to personal attacks
47 minutes -
Gov’t to spend GH¢2.8bn on secondary infrastructure as Education Minister pushes foundational learning
1 hour -
This is the result of GoldBod activities – Akim Oda MP demand answers over $1.7bn loss
1 hour -
Photos: Sammy Gyamfi at Government Accountability Series
2 hours -
Ghana School of Law SRC President-elect petitions authorities for relief for referred students
2 hours -
Promasidor Ghana unveils Onga Mix Tomato Paste, names Diana Hamilton brand ambassador
2 hours -
‘You admitted the loss, now account for the GH¢22bn’ – Minority hits back at GoldBod CEO
2 hours -
Gender Department raises alarm over rising teenage pregnancy in Ashanti Region
2 hours -
GJA@77: Ethical journalism foundation for strong, resilient democracies – UK Deputy High Commissioner
2 hours -
Police pickup carrying suspects crashes into trotro on KNUST campus, several injured
2 hours -
AMA Mayor apologises to alleged extortion victim, orders refund
2 hours -
Akwatia MP defends GoldBod, says IMF report didn’t blame it for losses
2 hours