Audio By Carbonatix
A Ugandan university student who mysteriously went missing two months ago after posting a TikTok video that harshly criticised President Yoweri Museveni's leadership has been jailed.
Elson Tumwine disappeared on 8 June - sparking accusations from opposition figures and activists that he had been abducted and illegally detained by military agents.
Following an outcry over his disappearance, he was then reportedly left at a police station in Entebbe in mid-July and was subsequently charged with offensive communication and computer misuse.
He pleaded guilty and asked for forgiveness. The magistrates' court in Entebbe sentenced him to two months in jail on Monday, noting his pleas for leniency.
Tumwine's sentencing and alleged abduction have raised concerns among human rights activists around freedom of speech ahead of elections next year.
In court, the third-year Makerere University undergraduate admitted to posting the video that prosecutors said was intended "to ridicule, demean and incite hostility".
He is alleged to have doctored a clip of the parliamentary speaker's response to a general apology Museveni issued in May to the Baganda people, Uganda's largest ethnic group and who form the traditional Buganda kingdom.
Over Museveni's nearly four decades in power, relations with the kingdom and its monarch have at times been strained. The kingdom has no political power but remains influential.
Tumwine's TikTok post accused the 80-year-old president of not apologising for other things during his time in power.
When Tumwine's disappeared in June, Makerere University issued an urgent appeal for information that could help find him.
He had been working as an agricultural intern in Hoima, western Uganda, as part of his studies at the time he went missing.
Two weeks ago, the secretary-general of the opposition NUP party, David Lewis Rubongoy,a said they had information that Tumwine and another suspect were being held at a police station in Entebbe, having been "dumped" there on 13 July.
He alleged they were taken there after being subjected to "incredible torture" at the hands of the country's military intelligence unit.
The authorities have not commented on these allegations.
Criticising the trial, lawyer and activist Godwin Toko said Tumwine had refused to let lawyers from his organisation or those from the opposition represent him in court.
"For a man who was abducted, held incommunicado for months, nudged to plead guilty and then sentenced, this is the apogee of injustice that it is not his captor punished, but him getting a criminal record to his name at such a young age," he posted on X on Tuesday.
Last November, 21-year-old Emmanuel Nabugodi was jailed for 32 months after creating a video said to insult Museveni.
Months earlier, Edward Awebwa, 24, was sentenced to six years in prison for hate speech and spreading "malicious" information against the first family.
Latest Stories
-
Ecobank, AfCFTA strike deal to unlock $3bn for African businesses, SMEs
9 minutes -
EXPLAINED: GN Savings and Loans license restored after a seven year legal battle: What happens next?
19 minutes -
Kwaku Waves shares inspiring new visuals for “A Growth With Me”
21 minutes -
US-Nigeria strike eliminates ISIS chief – Decisive blow or symbolic victory?
27 minutes -
Young Today, Powerless Tomorrow
33 minutes -
2026 World Cup: Neuer returns to Germany squad for tournament
44 minutes -
Prof Bokpin urges Mahama to champion support for Ghanaian businesses as part of his legacy
45 minutes -
While the World Looks to the Moon, Africa Looks Away – And that Must Change
47 minutes -
Driver in critical condition after container crushes mini cargo vehicle at Gomoa Biakoye
50 minutes -
Media crucial to success of new decentralisation policy—IMCCoD Executive Secretary
50 minutes -
Gov’t using criminal laws to suppress dissent – Oppong Nkrumah
51 minutes -
MUSIGA hosts Nigerian delegation on creative economy study tour
53 minutes -
‘Government cannot be sector-selective if it wants to do well’ – Prof. Bokpin
56 minutes -
Dr Gideon Boako links Bank of Ghana losses to Cash Reserve Ratio policy changes
1 hour -
Celestine Donkor features top African gospel acts on ‘Borborbor Hymns’
1 hour