Audio By Carbonatix
Education Minister, Matthew Opoku Prempeh has disclosed that about 90% of workers at his Ministry have tested positive for the Covid-19.
According to him, most of these workers have shown mild symptoms and are currently self-isolating at home.
"I can say 45 out of every 50 of our workers have tested positive for the virus. Since the lockdown, we at the MoE have been working without any break because, despite the lockdown, we had to put some measures in place.
"We were contemplating whether schools should proceed with their exams or not and we had to work on this. Therefore we at the MoE since the President issued the lockdown had been going to work. So I can't really identify if I got it from there or not. However, I'm certain I didn't get it from my constituency," the Minister said on Peace FM's Kokrokoo.
Dr. Opoku-Prempeh was discharged after spending two weeks at the University of Ghana Medical Centre (UGMC) after contracting the disease.
Recounting a moment he described as a near-death experience, the Minister said it was a second test that confirmed he had the disease because an initial one was negative.
That negative test was conducted before he left Accra for Manyhia, his constituency in the Ashanti Region.
Giving further details about his symptoms, Dr Prempeh said while people had cough and sneeze, his was characterised by acute diarrhea.
The Minister has, however, warned that persons who downplay and politicise the disease must be careful because, it is nothing to joke with.
"This is a deadly disease that I wouldn't wish for it on anyone, not even my worst enemy. So when I see people calling it on others in the name of politics, I get baffled," he added.
He further urged strict adherence to the safety protocols provided by the WHO and Ghana's Health Service.
"I urge us all to protect ourselves. We don't have to joke about that. Make sure to wear the face mask. If you don't have anything better to do outside, don't step out.
"Always make sure to wash your hands, after that, you sanitize. There is no need for mass gathering as well," he said. We must note that what the President is indicating and the health experts, " Dr Prempeh added.
Latest Stories
-
GIPC CEO calls for strategic investment in coconut value chain
1 minute -
Pink Ladies Cup: Three home-based players named in Black Queens squad
4 minutes -
GES and NIA step up plans for nationwide registration of children
5 minutes -
Heavy politicisation of cocoa industry has affected sector – Professor Peprah
8 minutes -
PBC MD appeals to COCOBOD to end cocoa payment delays
10 minutes -
Pink Ladies Cup: Six debutants named in Black Queens squad for tournament
17 minutes -
Open letter to Education Minister: Rising student deviance and the urgent need for national parental responsibility framework
27 minutes -
President Mahama to deliver State of the Nation Address on February 27
27 minutes -
Dr Kotia backs Ghana’s move to refer maritime boundary dispute with Togo to International arbitration
30 minutes -
When “substantive ” become a security strategy — Rev Ntim Fordjour’s nameplate doctrine
36 minutes -
No plan to pay cocoa farmers, yet ready to change NIB to BNI—Dr Ekua Amoakoh
37 minutes -
COCOBOD is not your cover story. It will not be your scapegoat
37 minutes -
BOST Energies welcomes Salifu Nat Acheampong as new Deputy Managing Director
44 minutes -
NIB or BNI: Will changing the name solve the problem? Asks Prof. Boadi
49 minutes -
Abidjan to host DRIF 2026 as global talks on digital rights and inclusion open for registration
53 minutes
