Audio By Carbonatix
Etihad Airways slashed orders worth $21.4 billion at list prices for Boeing Co. and Airbus SE jetliners, pushing forward with a drastic restructuring after years of operational losses.
The state-owned Gulf carrier cut its order for Boeing 777-9 aircraft to 6 jets from 25, while canceling delivery of 42 Airbus A350 wide-bodies, leaving it with 20.
While the airline will continue receiving Boeing 787 Dreamliners, Etihad said it’ll decide what to do with the rest of the original order later, "through rescheduling, restructuring or reduction."
With the cancellation of $1.1 billion worth of A320neos last month, Abu Dhabi-based Etihad has taken $22.5 billion of orders off the table for the plane-manufacturing duopoly.
The figures don’t include customary discounts that lower final prices. Airbus announced the loss of the A350s, a modern wide-body, on Thursday when it said it would shut down the older A380 superjumbo program after a dozen years.
“This will enable the airline to further progress its transformation and adjust to its new operating model,” Etihad said in a statement. The airline “can now concentrate on the phased introduction of new aircraft types, enabling an efficient rationalization of its fleet, and building a network that connects Abu Dhabi to the world.”
The airline has cut thousands of positions, put the brakes on a costly expansion and scrapped marginal routes, after almost $3.5 billion in losses in over two years. The airline is also being sued over an August 2017 decision to cut financial support for defunct German carrier Air Berlin.
Etihad has 43 unfilled orders from the 787 family, according to Boeing’s January monthly report.
Latest Stories
-
GTA 6 leaks – a nightmare or a blip for the biggest video game of the year?
2 hours -
Two injured in stabbing attack at Canada Sikh temple
2 hours -
Modi spent years building his strong image – why is he making Gen Z reels now?
2 hours -
Canada ‘should fight’ as US trade deadline looms, Manitoba premier says
2 hours -
Man Utd agree ÂŁ70m fee for Brighton’s Baleba
2 hours -
Inter-Agency Football Gala: YEA organize event as part of National Youth Month celebration
2 hours -
Receiver fights High Court order to hand over No.1 Oxford Street Hotel to Cheddar’s company
3 hours -
Partey begins new chapter in Saudi Arabia with Al Shabab
3 hours -
NSMQ 2026: St. Francis Xavier deny debutants Pentecost SHS one-eighth spot
3 hours -
One killed in sword attack at Swedish school
3 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Tamale SHS sweep aside Kalpohin, Wenchi Methodist to reach one-eighth stage
4 hours -
Tupac murder accused told police in 2008 his nephew fired fatal shots
4 hours -
Heart of the Beast to Practical Magic 2: 10 of the best films to watch this September
4 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Tears of relief as Labone SHS survive Notre Dame Sem. in thriller to secure one-eighth spot
4 hours -
Onga Tomato Mix unveils Diana Hamilton as Brand Ambassador
5 hours