The people of Ngleshie over the weekend marked their Homowo festival with a display of culture and style.
To make this year’s Ngleshie Alata Lafaa Homowo a talk-of-the-town occasion, the traditional leaders organised a first-of-it’s kind carnival across the streets of Weija.
Dubbed the Peace Carnival walk, the colourful display was organised by the newly installed Development queen mother, Naa Korkoi I who has arts and culture as her specialty.
In an interview with Adom News, she revealed her subjects were trained on how to assemble the carnival outfits among other things to aid in a smooth exercise.
To the queen mother, culture is the essence of kinship, and as such there was the need to represent the tribe in the most mind-boggling way.
The carnival saw some tribespersons, both males and females don custom-made wear solely made from items used in the preparation of the cultural delicacies.
Palm fruits, branches, thorns, maize husks, pots, calabashes and woven baskets were employed to make the wears.
Foreigners were also invited to participate and observe the beautiful culture of the Gas.
The carnival came ahead of the kpokpoi festival on Saturday and all-white jams on Sunday to signify peace and long life.
More photos below:
- Police arrest man flogging toddler in viral video
- ‘Akufo-Addo must resign; he’s giving us too much headache’ – Kpebu
- Loans to become more expensive as BoG hikes policy rate to 24.5%
- Brother stands in as groom skips wedding to train
- Nigerian singer Teni gifts SHS teacher a car
- BoG dollar auction: Demand outstrips supply by $72.2m as $1 hits ¢10.92
- Social media users impressed with Black Sherif’s ‘The Villain I Never Was’
- Government using IMF as smokescreen to force its ‘austerity budget’ on Ghanaians – Martin Amidu
- ‘Forget about votes; call Chairman Wontumi to account’ – Martin Kpebu to Akufo-Addo
- Arrest all 3 men – Sonnie Badu tells police after man flogging toddler goes viral
- Power Energy Ghana Exhibition slated for November 14, 2022
- Ghana’s gross reserves fall to 2.9 months of import cover in September 2022
- ICU-Ghana demands immediate cessation of incessant exploitation of labour
- Fistfight breaks out over control of Kenya parliament
- Today’s front pages: Friday, October 7, 2022
- Ghana’s debt stock up ¢9bn to ¢402.4bn in July 2022 – BoG
- ‘ECG has not agreed to any percentages with Hubtel’ – ECG MD
- Court orders CID Boss to provide safety report on alleged bride killers
- There is too much uncertainty in the business environment – Twum Akwaboah
- Deputy Energy Minister, Amin Adam, appointed Board Chairman of New Producers Group
- Increasing monetary policy rate will not reduce inflation – Badu Aboagye
- Austerity is bad for economic growth – Prof. Charles Ackah
- The Central Bank’s policy a measure in the wrong direction – Prof. Charles Ackah
- Akosua Agyapong eulogises mom
- ‘Horrible and terrible’ – German Ambassador on illegal mining