The Electoral Commission has debunked arguments that it has the mandate to proceed with a by- election in the Dome-Kwabenya Constituency owing to the continuous absence of the embattled Member of Parliament for the area, Sarah Adwoa Safo.
Chairman of Parliament’s Privileges Committee, Joseph Osei-Owusu last month urged the Clerk of Parliament to inform the Electoral Commission that the Dome-Kwabenya Constituency seat is vacant.
This, Mr. Osei-Owusu says, is the conclusion reached by the Committee after it heard two of the three NPP legislators who had absented themselves from Parliament for more than 15 consecutive sittings.
However, giving updates as to whether or not the Electoral Commission has any of such notices, Dr. Bossman Asare, Deputy Chairman of the Electoral Commission in charge of Corporate Services said the “EC has always been ready for by-elections because it is part of our mandate…you mentioned Honorable Adwoa Safo, we followed the news like the ordinary Ghanaians also do and as we speak now we have not received any notification that a parliamentary seat is vacant.”
Dr. Asare added that, “the EC is an impartial institution so based on what the First Deputy Speaker said, that means if the Clerk hasn’t notified us, the EC cannot jump the gun and say people are saying someone should resign so we are also joining the bandwagon”.
- Veteran actor Ekow Blankson has passed on
- Gabby Otchere-Darko hangs out with Arsenal players after win over Spurs
- I am not into galamsey – Chairman Wontumi
- Akufo-Addo directs SIGA Boss to probe infractions in 2021 Auditor General’s report
- I don’t feel sabotaged – ECG MD on credit purchase challenges
- National Security arrests Imam for having links to jihadist group
- I broke down after old tweets resurfaced – KiDi
- ‘Task Ofori-Atta to seek help from Seth Tekper in addressing our economic miseries’ – Gyampo to Akufo-Addo
- Cedi loses 40% value to dollar in nine months of 2022; places 147th position in world – Bloomberg
- Sam George deletes Facebook post about alleged attack on ECG system
- JICA organises third seminar on construction technology for Ghanaian engineers
- Forty Under 40 awards: Xodus Communications Limited releases full list of winners
- North Korea fires ballistic missile over Japan
- ECG vendors should have been made to work round the clock to address challenges -Kofi Kapito
- Forty Under 40: WhiteChalk CEO wins Event Management and Planner of the Year
- Aluu 4: Ten years from the lynching that shocked Nigeria
- Sunyani West residents outraged over deplorable roads
- COCOBOD secures US$1.13billion to purchase cocoa
- Akonta Mining Limited has no permit to undertake any mining operations in Tano Nimiri Forest Reserve – Minerals Commission
- Celebrities mourn Ekow Blankson
- Pro-Alan groups step up efforts to win Ashanti NPP
- Sacking Samuel Boadu at the ‘wrong time’ brings pressure on the new coach – Amankwah Mireku
- Playback: PM Express discuss ECG vending challenges
- COCOBOD signs $1.13bn syndicated loan for 2022/2023 cocoa crop season
- Morocco will continue to support Ghana’s cancer fight – Ambassador