An injunction has been granted by a Sogakope High Court against the dredging activities by the Volta River Authority and the Lower Volta Dredging Contractors Limited on the Volta River.
This follows a suit filed by Zikpuitor Afatsawu Dzeble of Agbeve in the South Tongu District.
The application, which was filed on 12 December, 2022, was motion ex-parte for an order of interim injunction restraining the respondents and defendants from dredging which results in pollution of the river in Agbeve community and its adjoining communities.
The court, which was presided by Justice Doreen G Boakye Agyei after listening to the application, granted the plea of the plaintiff. Thus, both the respondents and defendants have been restrained from carrying out dredging activities in the river.
The Agbeve community members recently raised concerns over the activities of the vessel seen working in the area, which according to them had negative environmental impact on fishing activities and their sources of water.
The residents appealed to the government to help halt the activities of the company and had to resort to legal action against the dredging activities since nothing was done about their plight by the appropriate authorities.
- Ablakwa kicks court writ on the ground upon service by bailiff
- Rev Kusi Boateng injuncts Ablakwa from further publications on him
- GOIL attributes drop in diesel price to Gold for Oil barter deal
- Rev Victor Kusi Boateng sues Ablakwa for defamation
- I’ve instructed my lawyers to act on Rev Kusi Boateng’s injunction against me – Ablakwa
- Diana Hamilton reveals why she won’t talk about National Cathedral
- Check out Akufo-Addo’s reaction as Black Sherif performs for him
- Ebenezer Kojo Kum resigns as Chieftaincy Minister
- GRA withdraws $672m back-tax demand from MTN Group
- Concerned UG Students embark on ‘Ya Br3 Mo’ Demo
- Bawku killings: Families of deceased must be duly compensated – Ayariga
- US FDA says India-made eye drop linked to some infections, blindness and one death
- Murder case involving Ghanaian resident in Canada adjourned to February 16
- Court quashes suspension of Kuapa Kokoo President after months of litigation
- I don’t want the President’s hand in investigating Bawku killings – Ayariga
- The Catholic pilgrims who walked 9 days to see Pope Francis
- Ghana Gas signs US$700m deal for second gas processing plant
- Treasure Kids Newspaper relaunched to encourage reading
- Stonebwoy releases brand new single “More Of You”
- Livestream: Newsfile discusses revised DDE, CPI 2022 report and CSSPS expose
- More than 40 killed in Nigeria as gunmen and vigilantes clash
- Diana Hamilton settles bills of patients at KATH
- 3 die in motorbike accident at Yaw Bronya, Ashanti Region
- Musk found not guilty of fraud over Tesla tweet
- Man shot by police was cleaning out – family