Audio By Carbonatix
Airbus has won $30bn (£23bn) worth of orders for 170 aircraft in another sign of the continued expansion of Middle East airlines.
On the second day of the Dubai Air Show, Emirates announced the purchase of 50 Airbus A350-900 XWBs - extra wide body - planes at a list price of $16bn.
That was closely followed by fast-growing low-cost carrier Air Arabia ordering 170 Airbus A320s worth $14bn.
The European aircraft manufacturer makes its wings in the UK.
Both airlines are likely to get a discount on the catalogue price, given the size of the orders.
Air Arabia chief executive Adel Ali told reporters the aircraft order was a "game-changer" for the airline. He said it would allow Air Arabia to expand in southeast Asia and Africa.
Meanwhile, Emirates said its order, announced at a hastily-convened news conference after last-minute negotiations, will be used to help re-shape its fleet as the airline adjusts to a slowing regional market and the early end to production of the A380 super-jumbo jet.
Emirates is the biggest operator of the A380, with more than 100 of the aircraft in its fleet.
The airline's chairman and chief executive, Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed Al Maktoum, said the A350s would allow Emirates to expand its long-haul network. The first of the A350 aircraft, which flies up to 15 hours and carries 350 passengers, will be delivered in 2023.
"It is very good news for Airbus," the European aerospace giant's chief executive, Guillaume Faury, told the news conference. He added that there would be no reversal of the decision earlier this year to end production of the A380.
Emirates said the airline was still in talks with Airbus rival Boeing about buying more aircraft from the US manufacturer.
Sheikh Ahmed said talks were continuing with Boeing at the air show, with everything up for discussion, including when the US aerospace giant might resolve issues around its 737 Max, currently grounded after two crashes.
Emirates has previously said it could buy 40 of Boeing's 787 Dreamliners, but has yet to firm up the order.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
International Day of the Boy Child marked in Accra
13 minutes -
BoG losses will not recur at last year’s scale — Governor Asiama assures
27 minutes -
Without trust, digital finance is just technology – BoG Governor
51 minutes -
Mental disorders increase by 95.5% globally since 1990 – Study
51 minutes -
See the areas that will be affected by ECG’s planned maintenance on May 25
52 minutes -
Fire destroys six-bedroom house in Koforidua
2 hours -
Government deploys armoured buses disguised as VIP, STC and OA coaches to fight highway robberies
2 hours -
GES director raises alarm over 300 teacher deficits in the Asutifi North District
2 hours -
Ghana’s Isaac Nii Ayetey Tagoe wins bronze at Oran World Para Powerlifting 2026
4 hours -
FHU alumnus launches medical textbook
4 hours -
Ghana’s Isaac Obeng clinches bronze at Oran World Para Powerlifting 2026
5 hours -
Rescuers search for more than 20 trapped after Philippines building collapse
5 hours -
Publican AI and the A–B–C Corridor
5 hours -
Blast targeting train kills at least 20 in Pakistan
5 hours -
Attacks on Ebola centres intensify in eastern DRC amid outbreak fears
5 hours