Audio By Carbonatix
Algerian football clubs have been banned from signing foreign players because of a severe financial crisis caused by a plunge in oil revenues, the national football federation said on Monday.
Algeria's oil export revenue has almost halved so far this year, crippling the economy of the North African nation, whose oil sales account for more than 95 percent of export revenues.
The football federation said the slump has created a "difficult" financial situation in Algeria, which can no longer "legally obtain currency to pay the salaries of foreign players".
As a result, "the federal bureau has decided to stop the recruitment of foreign players in professional clubs," it said in a statement posted on its official website.
The decision is immediate, the federation said.
But it added that football players who have already signed to play with Algerian clubs will be allowed to continue until their contracts expire.
Foreign currency transfers from Algeria are restricted and football clubs must get approval from the central bank.
Anyone who tries to move money out of the country through illegal channels risks prosecution and possible imprisonment.
There are around 30 foreigners, mostly Africans, in Algerian teams, as well as several footballers born in Europe -- mostly in France -- of Algerian origins.
-
Follow Joy Sports on Twitter: @Joy997FM. Our hashtag is #JoySports
Latest Stories
-
Panic in Sunyani: Chiefs to perform rituals after mystery deaths of two successive headteachers
1 hour -
The party has lost ground – Paul Afoko breaks long silence to launch NPP comeback
2 hours -
“It is worrying” – Prof. Akosa sounds alarm over failing medical ethics
2 hours -
World Cup reality check: Mexico beat fringe Black Stars 2-0 in Puebla friendly
2 hours -
Black Stars lose 2-0 to Mexico in pre-World Cup friendly in Puebla
3 hours -
Free speech: MFWA slams ‘weaponisation’ of state laws
4 hours -
Senegal president sacks PM Sonko, dissolves government after months of friction
4 hours -
NITA defends ICT fees, rejects claims of ‘digital coup’
4 hours -
UN releases $60m from central fund to tackle lethal Ebola outbreak
5 hours -
“Put people first” – Vice-President tells global financial giants at ACI Congress
6 hours -
Vice-President commissions 100 new Metro Mass buses
7 hours -
“You do not need my permission” – Bagbin clears misconception over arresting MPs
7 hours -
Ice baths, almond milk, meditation and a ‘house like a hospital’: The secrets of Salah’s success
7 hours -
Lupita Nyong’o rejects criticism of Helen of Troy role
8 hours -
This Saturday on Prime Insight: GN Savings and Loans licence restoration and the Abronye bail debate
9 hours