Audio By Carbonatix
Andy Murray said he is healthy and has "no timeframe" on retirement after he battled to his first win of the season.
The 35-year-old Briton beat China's Zhang Zhizhen 2-6 6-3 10-2 at the Kooyong Classic in Melbourne.
Murray is in the main draw of the Australian Open, which starts on Monday.
"I've been healthy the last seven months. I'm not awakening with aches and pains like in the last few years," the three-time Grand Slam winner said.
"As long as the body holds up well and I'm training properly and performing to a level I'm enjoying, then I will keep going. But I don't have a timeframe [for retirement]."
The former world number one, now ranked 49, had hip surgery in 2018 and 2019 and has been troubled by a variety of injuries in the years since then. Last month the Scot said he was one "big injury" away from calling time on his career but was in good shape.
At Kyoong, Murray trailed 5-0 to Zhizhen and dropped the first set, but bounced back, taking the second set with ease before winning a match tie-break third set.
Wins for Norrie and Draper
Elsewhere, Jack Draper advanced to his first quarter-final of 2023 with an impressive 6-4 6-4 win against American eighth seed Tommy Paul at the Adelaide International 2.
There are two ATP-WTA Adelaide Internationals this month, with Novak Djokovic and Aryna Sabalenka winning the titles in week one.
The 21-year-old Briton will now meet third seed Karen Khachanov, who beat him in the second round of the first Adelaide International last week.
Meanwhile, British number one Cameron Norrie needed nearly six hours to reach the quarter-finals of the Auckland Open with a weather-affected 6-4 6-7 (4-7) 6-3 win over Czech Jiri Lehecka.
The world number 12 will face American Marcos Giron in the last eight on Thursday.
Latest Stories
-
Ghana has not exited IMF, PCI is a new three-year deal – Oppong Nkrumah
4 minutes -
Health Ministry issues Ebola alert after WHO declares global public health emergency
23 minutes -
Asiedu Nketia enskinned as Kashentengwura in Bole
28 minutes -
Ghana secures $40m diaspora investment fund as entry point for Africa growth push in Atlanta Dialogue
28 minutes -
Abronye DC case: Detention doesn’t take away right to healthcare – Martin Kpebu
31 minutes -
German-born Ghanaian youngster Jason Osei-Tutu joins Greuther FĂĽrth ahead of 2026/27 season
44 minutes -
Health Ministry opens admissions for 2026/2027 public health training institutions
55 minutes -
Mobile Money Advocacy Group commends IGP for intensified fight against crime
56 minutes -
BOSAG, Gov’t aligns to scale Ghana’s BPO & GBS sector and create 100,000 jobs
1 hour -
Rent Control orders hostel owners to suspend proposed 2026/2027 fee increments
1 hour -
Southampton expelled from Championship play-offs for spying
2 hours -
Dr. Apaak cuts sod for construction of 24-Hour Economy Market in Fumbisi
2 hours -
Disadvantages will not stop Builsa South development – Dr Apaak
2 hours -
Tecco Mensah writes: Misinformation is an existential threat
2 hours -
GRIDCo, ECG announce maintenance across 4 regions on Wednesday, May 20
2 hours