Antisemitism is “rife” across social media, with young people exposed to hateful content via platforms such as TikTok and Instagram, new research says.
A report by campaign group Hope Not Hate found that antisemitism is being widely spread through a rise in conspiracy theories online, which spiked during the pandemic.
Google searches for a conspiracy theory which claims a secret global elite is controlling world events reached their highest level for 15 years in March 2020.
And a forum on message board site Reddit dedicated to conspiracies, many containing antisemitic tropes, grew by 500,000 users between February and November 2020.
The research, entitled Anti-Semitism in the Digital Age: Online Anti-Semitic Hate, Holocaust Denial, Conspiracy Ideologies and Terrorism in Europe, found that the most extreme and violent content was on more niche platforms such as Telegram, Parler, and 4chan.Advertisement
However, it warned that potentially millions of young people are also being introduced to conspiracy theories and antisemitism via Instagram and TikTok, where Hope Hot Hate said such content was also prevalent.
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse protest: NMC, Amnesty International Ghana condemn Police brutality
- #OccupyJulorBiHouse: IGP Dampare just lost it, he’s just protecting ‘corrupt’ Akufo-Addo – Martin Kpebu
- Government must pay attention to issues plaguing creative arts industry – D-Black
- Without guarantor system, EC would’ve disenfranchised many eligible voters – Omane Boamah
- Nana Krobea Asante unhappy about Ghana’s decline in peace ranking
- OccupyGhana condemns arrests of peaceful demonstrators
- #OccupJulorbiHouse: Citizens’ rights above that of President, IGP – Kofi Bentil
- Parts of Accra flooded during Friday’s downpour
- Journalists Sanctuary International condemns latest police brutality against journalists in Ghana
- EU, SNV Ghana, Government convinced of green entrepreneurship potential
- Ko-Jo Cue teases new single with Joey B
- Pastor Eastwood Anaba’s Days of Wonder Conference illuminates Houston
- Volta Regional Gender Department calls for support for women
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse protestors defy rains to intensify demonstration
- Chamber of Young Entrepreneurs, EU and SNV Ghana, launches ¢3m Young Entrepreneurs and Start-ups Support Fund