Sergio Aguero sealed an unconvincing Argentina side’s passage into the quarter-finals of the Copa America as they saw off Qatar in Porto Alegre.
Aguero’s late right-foot drive from 15 yards sealed a 2-0 win after Lautaro Martinez netted in the third minute.
Bassam Al-Rawi, whose misplaced pass had allowed Martinez to score, hit the post for Qatar, who are eliminated.
Lionel Scaloni’s side finish second in Group B behind Colombia, and will face Venezuela in the last eight.
Meanwhile, group winners Colombia’s 1-0 win over third-placed Paraguay ensured Argentina’s progress.
A 2-0 defeat by Colombia and a 1-1 draw with Paraguay had meant that Argentina had to beat the group’s bottom side Qatar to a avoid a humiliating group-stage exit from the competition.
However, it was far from a comfortable evening for the two-time World Cup winners against the 2022 World Cup hosts, who are ranked 55th in the world – despite making the perfect start, with 21-year-old Inter Milan forward Martinez scoring so early.
Manchester City forward Aguero and Barcelona’s Lionel Messi, who produced an underwhelming performance, both missed excellent opportunities while Qatar threatened on the counter-attack until Aguero’s late intervention.
Argentina now face Venezuela in their quarter-final on Friday, 28 June at the Maracana in Rio de Janeiro.
- Florida: 13ft alligator killed after it was spotted with human remains in its mouth
- Alan Kyerematen, Sammy Gyamfi and others mourn with Kwame A Plus at late father’s funeral
- FDA sensitizes traders and patients on medicine adverse reactions
- Mohbad: Nigerian nurse association says health worker who treated late singer not registered
- Graduated students urged to keep developing their skills for success
- Building contractor accused of defiling his stepdaughter freed
- 21500 healthcare workers benefit from health workforce programme
- France to end its military presence in Niger by end of 2023 – Macron
- Ghana’s gross reserves stood at 1.0 month of import cover in August 2023; trade surplus hits $2.016bn – BoG
- Alan to speak on Monday on political future after quitting NPP flagbearer race
- Livestream: The Probe discusses impact of #OccupyJulorbiHouse protest
- Dr. Sa-ad Iddrisu: Historians must document all human rights violations under Akufo-Addo’s watch
- Yaw Nsarkoh: Osagyefo & The Madiba: Global Africa in Search of Transformational Leadership in the 21st Century
- Ghanaian forward Ibrahim Sadiq gets assist as AZ Alkmaar win big in Eredivisie
- Nhyira Fm’s Mama Effe honoured at Mali’s 63rd Independence celebration in Kumasi