Audio By Carbonatix
Pressure group Arise Ghana has entered the second day of its protest at the United States Embassy in Accra, demanding that former Finance Minister Ken Ofori-Atta return to Ghana to face investigations over alleged financial mismanagement.
Chanting slogans and holding placards reading “Bring Ken Home,” “You Can’t Loot Ghana and Hide Abroad,” “Ken Is Needed in Ghana,” etc members of Arise Ghana are maintaining a steadfast presence outside the U.S. Embassy, vowing to continue their protest until former Finance Minister Ken Ofori-Atta returns to Ghana to face investigations into alleged financial mismanagement.
Speaking to JoyNews at the protest ground, Director of Field Operations of the United Party, Hopeson Adorye, said the choice of the embassy as a protest site was strategic.
“Americans understand demonstrations,” he explained. “People may claim that Ken is already being prosecuted, but when they see a protest like this, they recognise it as a genuine call from the citizens. That is what speeds up the process, and that is why we are here.”
Mr Adorye added that the protests are planned to continue for 14 working days, excluding weekends, with the group vowing to escalate their actions if their demands are not met.
“We are going for 14 days, minus the weekends. If after 14 days we are still not getting what we want, we will continue,” he said.
The demonstration comes as the former minister remains outside the country amid ongoing investigations by the Office of the Special Prosecutor into several transactions approved during his tenure.
Ken Ofori-Atta, who served as Ghana's Finance Minister from 2017 to 2024 under the New Patriotic Party (NPP) administration, has been at the centre of multiple public controversies over alleged financial mismanagement and procurement-related concerns.
In recent years, the Office of the Special Prosecutor announced investigations into several transactions approved during his tenure, including revenue assurance contracts, public debt restructuring processes, and payments made under sole-sourcing arrangements.
His lawyers have previously stated that he remains willing to cooperate with any lawful investigative process, citing health and security concerns for his temporary stay outside the country.
Despite these assurances, Arise Ghana insists that justice can only be served if Mr Ofori-Atta returns to Ghana to respond personally to the allegations.
Latest Stories
-
“Ato Forson is doing well but NDC not better than NPP” – Stephen Amoah
32 minutes -
UMA donates medical equipment to Amomaso CHPS compound to end high-risk referrals
33 minutes -
Xenophobic attacks: Gov’t announces support package for Ghanaians being evacuated from South Africa
51 minutes -
Average lending rate falls sharply to 16.33% in April 2026
56 minutes -
Accra Academy to launch 95th anniversary celebration on May 29
60 minutes -
Ghana partners Google for Education to drive AI revolution in schools
1 hour -
Born In Harmony: A young girl shaped by chorale music
1 hour -
A Woman, A Tuk-Tuk and Ghana’s 16 regions
1 hour -
Today’s front pages: Wednesday, May 20, 2026
2 hours -
Koforidua High Court restrains Akropong traditional leaders from Awukudae celebrations
2 hours -
Ghana commissions 10 Forest Protection Camps to boost fight against illegal mining and logging
2 hours -
GSA shuts down sections of Ashaiman China Mall warehouse over alleged substandard products
3 hours -
Ghana’s export earnings hit $11.1bn on surging gold prices
3 hours -
Oil falls after Trump says US will end Iran war ‘very quickly’
3 hours -
Digital misinformation revives debate over criminalising speech – Pumpuni Asante
3 hours