Audio By Carbonatix
The Ghana Deaf Sports Federation in partnership with ASA Plus Destination has officially declared its readiness in the upcoming 2022 Deaflympics in Brazil.
The 15-day competition would see participation in deaf Handball, Athletics, Football, Canoeing, Rowing among others.
The 24th Deaflympics games have been scheduled to take place in the city of Caxias do Sul from 1st to 15th May 2022.
Speaking at the official launch in Accra on Wednesday, the federation revealed plans of making positive impacts at the games.
"We have traveled to many tournaments in Denmark and Turkey but anytime we go we always learn something new and anytime we want to travel, it is because of financial constraint but now we have ASA Plus coming on board to support us so we believe we are going to do better than the previous years.
He added "We also have the media here, we want to plead with you all to go and do the publicity. When we go and win it is for all of us in general," Jonathan Amuah, the President of the Ghana Deaf Sports Federation.
They also appealed to the government, Ministry of Youth and Sports, and the GOC for support towards the games.
"Please try and help us speak to the GOC and other institutions to help us get the necessary support that we need. Deaf people are suffering here, other countries like Nigeria and Kenya have the support from their government and people, but what about Ghana?, Please support the Ghana Deaf Sports Federation so we can go to Brazil to perform," he stressed.
In an interaction with the media, the Federation stated that the Executives have put measures in place to ensure Ghana gets a medal.
They highlighted the importance of their past participation in Denmark and Turkey, adding that it played a positive impact.
"The federation was established in 1994 and we have gone through a lot of challenges. In 2004 we had very strong coordination, we joined the international bodies because we wanted people to hear us both home and abroad and know what deaf sports is about.
"We have the games coming up in a few months’ time, and it will be prudent for the sports minister to use his esteemed office to help us. We also call on the Ghana Olympic Committee president, Mr. Ben Nunoo Mensah and other bodies to come to our aid," he said.
"We have participated in other past events and due to lack of funds and support we couldn't win any medal but we were able to make a mark on the international scene and people heard about Ghana. So we want to plead to Ghanaians to support us."
Mr. Abraham Sarbeng, the Chief Executive Officer of ASA Plus Destinations, welcomed the partnership and assured the federation of his full commitment ahead of the games in Brazil.
Latest Stories
-
Dr Abena Nyarkoa to join panel discussion at Africa Together Conference in Cambridge
45 minutes -
Walmart warns US shoppers are cutting spending as higher petrol prices bite
1 hour -
Flexible exchange rate regime critical in absorbing external shocks – First Deputy Governor
1 hour -
Toilets and changing rooms must be used on basis of biological sex, guidance confirms
1 hour -
Emily in Paris to end after sixth season, says Netflix
1 hour -
Angry crowd sets Ebola hospital tents on fire in DR Congo
2 hours -
Russia and China condemn US over indictment of former Cuban leader
2 hours -
Bank of Ghana reverts to previous Cash Reserve Ratio policy after scrapping it last year
2 hours -
Ghana-eligible defender Beres Owusu signs permanent deal with Grazer AK
2 hours -
A Super El Niño is coming: What does it mean for Ghana?
2 hours -
Driving Schools Association pushes for mandatory driver training to reduce road crashes
2 hours -
Climate change exists with or without humans — Youth advocate
3 hours -
Plastic waste driving flooding and climate concerns in Bamaahu — Youth Climate Reporter
3 hours -
This week on The Career Trail
3 hours -
My book was born out of university research – Mary Anane Awuku
3 hours