Member of Parliament (MP) for Okere and former General Secretary of the main opposition New Patriotic Party (NPP), Dan Botwe says there is no evidence to prove that the Asantes and Akyems in NPP have hijacked the party.
“There’s nothing like Ashanti-Akyem divide in the party and I’m prepared to debate anybody, who makes that claim. There’s no such evidence”, he stressed.
Dan Botwe's comment comes on the back of claims by former Attorney General, Nii Ayikoi Otoo that the NPP is divided between the Asantes and Akyems.
Ayikoi Otoo, who is head of the NPP’s Legal Committee and an aspiring chairman of the party, said the NPP risk loosing the 2016 general elections if the ‘fight’ for political supremacy between the Asantes and Akyems is not resolved.
In a rebuttal, a livid Dan Botwe on Asempa FM’s Ekosii Sen programme Tuesday, described Ayikoi Otoo comment as “very unfortunate”.
He said the suppose Asante-Akyem factions in the NPP “is a repetition of a loose talk” because it is a “cheap and dangerous talk”.
“I’m very pained by that statement; it’s very painful because it has no basis at all”, he emphasised.
The Okere MP believes Ayikoi Otoo’s claim is out of ignorance of NPP’s history “otherwise an elder statesman like him [Otoo] should know better”.
Dan Botwe urged the former Attorney General to retract and apologize to the party in order to put the matter to rest.
- 3 ECG employees charged for stealing ¢2.1m prepaid credits
- Yul Edochie and wife May lose first son
- No one from Ghana’s film industry approached me while I was here – Spike Lee
- Martin Amidu on Anas: ‘Genuine anti-corruption crusaders don’t hide behind masks’
- Power outages imminent as Ghana Gas shuts down Atuabo gas processing plant from April 1
- Parliamentary committee recommends passage of controversial Anti-LGBTQ bill
- Davido confirms he’s married to Chioma
- Political appointees at Presidency increases to 361
- Ambulance case: Court orders Ato Forson to open defence
- Ashanti NDC refutes allegations of wearing military uniforms on campaign tour
- ECG releases load shedding timetable for March 30 to April 7
- ‘God created me and he knows why I am gay’ – Ugandan
- Larabanga Accident: Level 200 student dead, 3 others in critical condition
- Chief of Mujipe shot dead, son in critical condition
- Weather information assists farmers to adapt to climate change
- Beige Bank collapse: Witness accuses Nyinaku of taking bank’s US$200,000 illegally
- Green Sports Academy wishes Isaac Dogboe well ahead of WBO featherweight title fight
- Dogboe v Ramirez – Dogboe’ s trainer chasing history
- Donald Trump indictment: Ex-US president to be charged over hush money
- WMO retires deadly cyclone Fiona and Ian from list of names
- 5 member committee investigating Kejetia Market fire starts with fact-finding mission
- UBA Ghana holds first quarter ‘Jogging To Bond’
- Playback: PM Express discuss how to restore capital market after DDEP
- Kuami Eugene offers budding musicians tips for Joy Prime’s ‘Cues & Lyrics’ audition
- Mercy Chinwo threatens musician with ₦2bn lawsuit after he used her name in song