The Minority in Parliament is demanding for officials of the National Media Communication (NMC) to be hauled before the House to answer questions on the alleged attack on free speech in the country.
This, the Member of Parliament for Tamale North, Alhassan Suhuyini said was because of the number of attacks on media practitioners in the country whiles discharging their duties.
“The Speakership and Leadership should consider the admissibility of the statement that there was the need for the House to invite the National Media Commission that is tasked with the responsibility of ensuring that media houses and personnel practice in freedom,” he said.
He added that the NMC should be made “to brief the House on what they are doing about the growing state-sponsored attacks.”
His comment comes on the back of the recent arrest of Accra FM Presenter, Kwabena Bobie Ansah after his ‘Citizen Show’ on Thursday night for allegedly publishing false news on January 11 on the political talk show.
Prior to his arrest, another journalist with Power FM, Oheneba Boamah Bennie, was jailed over claims made against President Akufo-Addo and judges.
The presenter was handed a 14-day jail term on Tuesday by the Accra High Court after Godfred Dame, the Attorney General charged him with contempt.
He was also fined GH¢3000 by the court presided over by Justice Elfreda Dankyi.
In addition, the Executive Director of ASEPA, a social group that advocates for good governance, Mensah Thompson, was on Thursday, February 10, 2022, granted bail in the sum of GHC 50,000 after he was arrested and charged for allegedly publishing false news against the President and the Ghana Armed Forces, although he had apologised for the claims.
This brings to three the number of journalists arrested in the line of duty this year.
Mr Suhuyini expressed worry over the recent attacks on journalists.
“Like any lover of democracy, any lover of free speech I am very worried and that is why I sought this morning to make a statement on the floor of Parliament drawing the nation’s attention to the threat and encroachment on the independence and the freedom of the media. Unfortunately, it’s still under consideration,” he said.
According to the MP, the involvement of President Akufo-Addo in the repelling of the Criminal Libel Law makes it an irony for such attacks to be happening under the same government.
In the view of the Tamale North MP, Alhassan Suhuyini, the use of force is not the cure to irresponsible journalism.
Meanwhile, the Kaneshie District Court has granted Accra FM presenter, Kwabena Bobie Ansah, a GH¢50,000 bail with two sureties.
- “We shall also be blessed with Ghana Miracle” – Finance Minister speaks on economy recovery
- Disregard statement declaring Friday, Sept 30 as a holiday – Oyibi Divisional Council
- GFA suspends 2022/23 Ghana Premier League over court injunction
- ‘Impugning the motives of Judges is actually undermining integrity of Judiciary’ – Judges and Magistrates Association
- UTAG, 3 other university labour unions threaten to go on strike on October 5
- GFA suspends AshantiGold SC for dealing with banned club president and son
- T Bills, short-term securities will not be affected by Ghana’s debt restructuring – US-based Associate Professor
- Danadams Pharmaceuticals and CEO in court over alleged fraud and forgery
- Ghana will transition from fossil fuel to renewable energy by 2070 – Bawumia
- GTA boss names agency in copyright feud with Kirani Ayat, reveals how footage was obtained
- ‘I’m extremely regretful’ – KiDi apologises for ‘inappropriate and unkind’ old tweets
- World Heart Day: A look at Vodafone Ghana’s contributions to cardiac wellness
- Ghana elected Chair of the Commonwealth ITU Group
- 19 die after drinking toxic alcohol
- 21 Ghanaians to receive Global Summit awards
- Ebola outbreak in Uganda detected late – WHO
- CLOSAG accuses government of infiltrating it with party members
- Catholic charity shutdown after 60 years of operation
- Pastor jailed for life after planning coup and black genocide
- Ghana’s ‘Borga’, ‘Road to My Father’s Compound’ lead race for AMAA 2022 gold
- Emmanuel Agyemang Badu invited for CHAN draw
- Pernod Ricard Ghana partners ‘Let’s Do It Ghana’ to mark World Cleanup Day
- R. Kelly to pay $300,000 to victim in sex crimes
- Minister of Transport leads aviation experts to 41st ICAO Triennial Assembly in Montreal, Canada
- International Day of Awareness of Food Loss and Waste 2022 – “Stop food waste for the people and the planet”