Audio By Carbonatix
The National Communications Officer of the National Democratic Congress (NDC),Sammy Gyamfi, says the Attorney General, Godfred Yeboah Dame should be held accountable for engaging in what he describes as a cover-up scheme.
According to Gyamfi, the Attorney General’s advice on Prof. Kwabena Frimpong Boateng’s ‘galamsey’ report was another attempt to cover up NPP corruption.
Speaking in an interview on Joy FM’s Top Story on Wednesday, October 11, he said the Attorney General must not be allowed to get away with the cover-up on Prof Frimpong Boateng’s report.
“We should hold the seat of this public officer, in this case the Attorney General and Minister of Justice, to the fire of accountability,” he said.
Sammy Gyamfi on Tuesday accused the Attorney General of lacking interest in prosecuting government officials engaged in corruption-related offences, adding that due to this, the NDC has never had confidence in the Attorney General.
He explained that the AG has never prosecuted any government official in the ruling party – the New Patriotic Party for any acts of corruption, saying “he has not done so because he is not interested in fighting corruption, neither is he interested in protecting the interest of the people.”
His comment follows the Attorney General's advice that former Environment Minister, Prof Frimpong Boateng's allegations in his report on illegal mining activities in the country are empty and do not have evidence to prosecute the persons named in it.
The Attorney General therefore asked the police to discharge the persons mentioned in the report except those still under investigation.
Reacting to this, he said, “This is the same thing they did in the galamsey fraud scandal which was published by investigative journalist, Anas Aremeyaw Anas. They did the same thing with regard to the missing excavators and they cannot get away with it. So let’s get straight to the point and tell him [Attorney General] that he is lying.”
“How is it that Frimpong Boateng will give you a statement written by a willing witness, a journalist by the name Seth Mantey confessing that his bank account at NIB was used to receive bribes from miners whose excavators had been seized and that 27,000 of these equipment were released to these miners after they paid bribe.
“He is giving you the man’s own statement, he is giving you the bank statement which shows all the withdrawals and the deposits and you say you don’t have evidence to prosecute this man?...” he asked.
According to him, the NDC will be addressing a full-blown press conference on the subject on Monday, October 16.
He said they would be “playing to the nation incontrovertible evidence that goes to confirm most of the assertions contained in the Frimpong Boateng report.”
Latest Stories
-
World Vision Ghana brings joy to Wa West children with mass birthday celebration
3 minutes -
NAIMOS arrest one foreign national and 7 Ghanaians in anti-galamsey operation in Ashanti Region
4 minutes -
Health Ministry announces mop-up exercise for validation and posting of health professionals
4 minutes -
GoldBod wins community backing for responsible mining support program in Ashanti Region
4 minutes -
Xenophobic attack: Why announce evacuation without preparation? – Minority caucus questions gov’t
8 minutes -
Government failed Ghanaians in South Africa — Minority slams evacuation delay
21 minutes -
Heavy downpour leaves Kaneshie, other parts of Accra flooded
24 minutes -
Mahama’s STEM push aims to build curious, creative students – Haruna Iddrisu
38 minutes -
Swimming stakeholders call for legitimate governance and constitutional elections in Ghana Swimming
50 minutes -
Akatsi Police seize suspected cannabis consignment, driver escapes
52 minutes -
EU investment in Ghana reaches $16bn – GIPC’s Boss
1 hour -
GPSCP II and TCDA partner to boost regulation and investment in tree crops sector
2 hours -
Ghana, Ethiopia business ties ripe for expansion – GIPC
2 hours -
Ghana-Russia Center signs landmark cooperation agreements at KazanForum 2026
2 hours -
Sankofa Gold Mine, Guangzhou Hozdo partnership signals revival push as Ghana’s Western mining sector heats up
2 hours