The African Union Development Agency NEPAD (AUDA-NEPAD) and the Ecobank Group, its strategic partner on developing the 100,000 Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) Initiative, are set to launch the financing component as from 27 May 2021.
AUDA-NEPAD launched the 100,000 MSMEs Programme to accelerate African economic transformation, provide the needed skills, and build resilience against the economic shock triggered by the global pandemic.
The ‘100 000 MSMEs’ initiative seeks to build the capacity of 1,000,000 enterprises in Africa through entrepreneurial and business training to improve access to finance and new markets while establishing networks for support and incubation to bolster their success.
“Across the globe, MSMEs are the biggest and the best engine of innovation, social transformation and economic development and growth. AUDA-NEPAD is deeply convinced that Africa structural transformation will be driven by youth and women led businesses and innovations,” said Amine Idriss Adoum AUDA-NEPAD, Director of Programme Delivery & Coordination Directorate.
AUDA-NEPAD and the Ecobank Group announced their collaboration in May 2020 and agreed to tackle three main pillars in supporting MSMEs in coming out of the devastating economic impact of COVID-19: namely, MSME Academy, MSME Finance and MSME Marketplace.
The MSME Academy was launched in August 2020 in 8 countries. Both institutions will now proceed to launch the MSME Finance pillar in the same countries, namely Chad, Cote d’Ivoire, Ghana, Kenya, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, and Togo.
A total sum of $ 2.0 million will be extended in the form of working capital to beneficiaries who meet the set criteria across the eight countries in this first phase.
“After an unprecedented year in 2020, the impact of COVID-19 continues to be felt across African economies with an increased and urgent need to support MSMEs Businesses which are the backbone of our economies. As a financial institution, we reaffirm our commitment to support the ‘100,000 MSMEs’ initiative.
“Following the successful launch of the MSME Academy, we are now going ahead with the financing component. We look forward to celebrating the businesses who will successfully go through this training program and who will meet the criteria for financial support” said Josephine Anan-Ankomah, Ecobank Group Executive Commercial Banking.
Objectives of the 100,000 MSME Finance
- Expand the reach of the 100,000 MSMEs initiative to youth across the continent and enable linkages into the wider entrepreneurship ecosystem that benefit the youth after training;
- Generate relevant data on MSMEs to enhance evidence-based policy recommendations to AU decision bodies as well as facilitate engagement with ecosystem partners such as financiers and links to trade and markets; and,
- Enable bottom-up engagement with youth and women entrepreneurs to ensure that youth and gender development policies benefit from their voice and participation as citizens of the continent.
MSMEs can now register here https://ecobank.com/gh/commercial-banking/msmefinancing. Registrations close on 21 May 2021.
- Joyce Bawah Mogtari gives birth to triplets, receives love on social media
- Police officer found dead at Flagstaff House barracks
- You can run, but you can’t hide – Kofi Boakye to bullion van attackers
- Insecurity in Ghana is not a reality – Police Service PRO
- Father’s day: Dad’s car gift was a big surprise – 1st Class Degree holder-uber driver
- Parents of Police recruits urged to limit financial demands on them
- Painting a picture of national insecurity, an exaggeration – Kweku Baako
- Vaccine production: We can’t afford to be naked next time – Akufo-Addo to ECOWAS
- Playback: Newsfiles discusses vaccine politics, daylight robberies
- Vaccine procurement: Government has enough grounds to abrogate deal with middlemen – Kwame Asiedu
Member states of ECOWAS fixes 2027 for Eco currency implementation
Chief of Aflao calls for completion of stalled Community Day School project
Petroleum revenue used to tackle many national issues – PIAC
Northern Region set to receive its first set of psychiatrists – Mumuni Fuseini
Man who shot friend over ¢5 debt arrested, to be charged with murder
Residents plead for release of man who burnt daughter’s hand for stealing ¢10
Demanding ¢6k from MFWA for information on ‘galamsey’ makes nonsense of RTI Law – Samson Anyenini
Armed robberies: Let’s not play into agenda of criminals – Police PRO
Tory MP accused of sexually assaulting 15-year-old boy faces trial
Give us enough farmland to boost crop production – Women farmers association to chiefs
Government to roll-out loan scheme for tree planting – Lands Ministry
KAIPTC to hold regional security stakeholders meeting in Banjul
Planting hemp will benefit the environment – Hemp Association of Ghana
Stop extorting money from our clients else we abrogate your contract – NHIA manager
5 Okyeman environmental task force members charged with robbery and unlawful possession of firearms