A clinical psychologist has advised parents to be friends with their wards and not to shun discussing sex with them at the adolescent stage.
Nortey Dua said children who get good, reliable information and guidance make the right decision.
However, he added, “Your failure to be good parents and accompany your child through these trials and challenges means that that vacuum can be filled by anything and everyone.”
Speaking on Joy FM’s Home Affairs on Saturday, Mr Dua said sex education affords parent the opportunity to know their children more and helps the children gain some confidence in the values of their parent.
“I tell parents in Africa that we have so many opportunities because our children see a lizard, they see goat been slaughtered or a chicken has been killed and they can ask you, mummy, what is this part?
“That is your biology lesson, free downloaded, that is the time you get to talk to them about these things.”
He said once parents fail to open up, “they will go and get the resource elsewhere.”
“Your child comes to tell you, my friend in class talked about kissing, and you blow up, that’s the end of the story,” he said.
According to him, the child will interpret it to mean that sharing with mummy or daddy does not work, however for parents who open up and show interest, the child tells them more.
“So you got to be in there, don’t define yourself out of there and you will be able to help them,” he stressed.
Sex education is really sexuality education, it’s not just about the act “it teaches you about the value of your body and so many other things, and it is something you need to broach and approach.”
Mr Dua also recommended that parents should not restrict their children from being friends with the opposite sex as it is also important that children explore to learn the lessons of life for themselves.
“So you can’t say don’t talk to the opposite sex, don’t do this, don’t do that because then it means they are missing out on lessons and training,” he said.
Children, Mr Dua further noted, need confident and secure guiding of their parents whom they can always fall back on and discuss anything and everything.
“The next critical thing is your response and how you guide them on this journey of body integrity,” he said stressing they must know who can touch them and where so they report any inappropriate touch.
- MP for Kumawu, Philip Basoah is dead
- ‘Why approve the man who caused me such pain?’ Sam George questions Minority MP colleagues
- Gold Mafia: Gold smuggler sneaks $40 million worth of gold out of Ghana every month
- Speaker slams Kamala Harris’ take on LGBTQ+ in Ghana, calls out Akufo-Addo
- Sights and sounds: Akufo-Addo hosts Kamala Harris at banquet
- Armed police officers and soldiers clash in Accra central as traders run for their lives
- Black Stars: 5 things we learned from the two games against Angola
- Playback: Kamala Harris addressed Ghanaians from Black Star Square
- ‘It was too big a risk to start him’- Hughton on Thomas Partey against Angola
- Treason trial: Court demands death certificate of Dr Mac-Palm
- Why Ebo Whyte’s ‘Just The Tip’ is a ‘maybe’
- You can’t intervene in anti-LGBTQ+ bill; you’re not in charge – Bagbin tells Akufo-Addo
- Tarkwa Rotary Club conducts medical screening for inmates of Tarkwa prisons
- The stories of slavery must be told – US Vice President after visiting Cape Coast Castle
- GhLA CEO Hayford Siaw honoured by global philanthropy organisation, Reach for Change
- World Water Day: Youth engagement maximized to achieve SDG 6
- Livestream: PM Express discusses US-Ghana relations
- Hey please! I am in charge – Bagbin tells Akufo-Addo over anti-LGBTQ+ bill
- Bole-Bamboi MP calls for rerun of the election that approved six ministerial nominees
- ‘He devoted himself to the Danquah-Dombo-Busia tradition’ – Akufo-Addo eulogises late Kumawu MP
- ECG disconnects Ghana Post Accra branch over GH¢89,000 debt
- Students have still not reported to school despite free SHS – Ashanti Region GES
- We have a very good candidate in Dr. Duffour – Fritz Bafour
- Division One: Heart of Lions extend Zone 3 lead to 15 points
- Kejetia market fire: Traders warned to desist from forceful opening of shops