Neymar has ensured an interesting reception when he belatedly returns to France next week by claiming that one of his favourite memories in football was beating Paris Saint-Germain 6-1 with Barcelona.
The Brazilian, constantly linked with a return to Spain this summer, has already irked PSG officials by missing the start of pre-season training to attend a charity event with Instituto Neymar, the foundation he set up in 2013.
Speaking at the event, Neymar was asked for his best memory from his football career to date. He had two: winning Olympic gold with Brazil in 2016, and humiliating his current club with the infamous 6-1 comeback in 2017
“When we won against PSG with Barcelona it was completely… we all went crazy afterwards,” Neymar said.
“I believe it was the best feeling for all of us.
“The ‘Remontada’ against Paris, what we felt when we scored the sixth goal… I have never felt anything like this. It was incredible!”
Neymar scored twice in that game, a stunning free kick in the 88th minute and a penalty in the 91st to bring Barca to within touching distance of one of the most memorable comebacks of all time.
Sergi Roberto’s 95th-minute winner completed the turnaround after a scarcely believable 4-0 defeat in Paris had seemed set to dump Barca out of the Champions League.
Given PSG’s much talked-about failure to make an impression in Europe despite spending huge sums on the likes of Neymar and Kylian Mbappe, it isn’t hard to imagine Neymar’s comments – while understandable – will annoy team-mates, officials and fans alike at his current side.
With Barcelona having confirmed the signing of Antoine Griezmann, fans are desperate to see a return for Neymar to create a front three that would rival the famous ‘MSN’ lineup that the Brazilian was a part of.
He certainly seems to be angling for the move, but whether the La Liga champions would be able to sign both players in one window remains to be seen.
On Saturday, he posted a video to his Instagram story showing a picture of himself in a Barcelona shirt and a Bible verse – though his intention behind the upload was far from clear.
- Former Minister for Monitoring and Evaluation, Dr Akoto Osei dies aged 64
- 2 Ghanaian students honoured for topping West Africa in 2022 WASSCE
- Bridget Otoo’s horrifying story of how her car was nearly snatched on Tema motorway
- Interest rates on falling spree; government T-bills oversubscribed by 40%
- Police probe Prof Frimpong Boateng’s Jubilee House ‘galamsey’ allegations
- AFCON 2023Q: Chris Hughton opens Black Stars camp with 8 players
- GACL settles GH¢10m out of GH¢28m owed ECG; balance to be paid in 2-weeks
- Ofori-Atta leaves for China for crucial debt restructuring negotiations
- Avoid mass gatherings, restrict your movements to safe areas – Ghana’s Mission in SA to Ghanaians
- ECG recovers GHȼ18.5m out of ȼ46.9m from 3 state institutions
- The South African choir that performed for Queen Victoria
- Stop the arrogance, downsize your government – Fifi Kwetey tells Akufo-Addo
- Akufo-Addo’s government suffering a complete collapse of credibility – Fifi Kwetey
- Akufo-Addo’s government has been the luckiest in terms of resources, they have no excuse – Fifi Kwetey
- IMF lied about Covid-19, Ukraine war being cause of Ghana’s economic woes – Fifi Kwetey
- Akufo-Addo still in campaign mode – Fifi Kwetey
- Reset your priorities – Sammy Gyamfi tells government
- Climate-smart agricultural practices should be linked to household food security – Climate expert
- Accra Visual Arts Week is back
- Let’s generate African data to empower our AI systems – Computer scientist
- Playback: One-on-one with Fifi Kwetey on PM Express
- I won’t let politics destroy our brotherhood – Fred Nuamah on fracas with John Dumelo
- IMF Executive Board approves US$3bn under new Extended Fund Facility arrangement for Sri Lanka
- 10 enthralling reasons to tune into Joy Prime channel
- Abolish Section 27 of CAP 127 which makes Islamic marriages invalid – Dwomoh