Audio By Carbonatix
The bodies of two Chinese backpackers who went missing in floodwaters in Queensland have been recovered, Australian police have said.
The 26-year-old man and 23-year-old woman, who were driving from Brisbane to the North Burnett region, were reported missing on Tuesday when they failed to reach their destination.
Police said they had found their silver Subaru Forester near the town of Kilkivan near Gympie on Wednesday afternoon, after a largescale search by officers, the State Emergency Service and helicopters.
On Thursday they said two bodies had been found inside the vehicle, which was submerged in floodwaters. Next of kin had been notified and police were working with the Chinese consulate.
Gympie mayor Glen Hartwig said the two deaths were an "absolute tragedy".
"These people have come to Australia to see our beautiful country… and tragically they've ended up losing their lives," he told the ABC.
There have been major flood warnings in place across Queensland and parts of the Northern Territory (NT) over the past several days, with some river levels still increasing due to heavy rain.
Hundreds of homes have been flooded in towns including the Queensland coastal town of Bundaberg, and Katherine in the NT. Crocodiles have been spotted in some floodwaters with residents warned to stay out of them.
In Darwin, people have been asked to reduce water consumption and boil drinking water after the pump station at the dam that supplies most of the city's water was flooded and stopped working.
Latest Stories
-
GIB advocates deeper financial sector collaboration for growth
1 minute -
Children must be supported to discover and develop their talents — Advocate
3 minutes -
One Nation Reggae Festival: Sierra Leone builds cultural bridge between Africa and the Caribbean
3 minutes -
New Metro Mass buses will improve safety, comfort and efficiency — Vice President
4 minutes -
Funny Face declares himself mental health advocate after recovery journey
13 minutes -
KN Foundation outreach: ‘This is not your permanent home’ – Okraku brings hope to Nsawam inmates
20 minutes -
Samson Deen sponsors Para Powerlifting team for African Championship qualification campaign
21 minutes -
Tolon NDC youth petition Asiedu Nketia over killing of party supporter ‘Alhaji’ Haruna Saibu
23 minutes -
Albert Teye wins Kia Ghana World Cup contest grand prize on Joy FM
30 minutes -
Transport Minister urges Metro Mass Transit to strengthen internal capacity for fleet expansion
38 minutes -
KN Foundation prison outreach: Amenfi Central MP moved by sight of ‘very young boys’ as football legends visit inmates
38 minutes -
Sweety Aborchie Writes: Women, Power, Politics, Issue 3: Silence is not consent
41 minutes -
Ghana Card accepted at over 44,000 airports worldwide as a mode of identification – NIA boss
46 minutes -
Ghanaian midfielder Linda Owusu Ansah set to join AFC Toronto
58 minutes -
Grassroots sports development critical to Ghana Sports Fund vision – Yaw Ampofo-Ankrah
1 hour