An Executive Member of the Food and Beverage Importers Association has commended the Bank of Ghana (BoG) for the withdrawal of foreign exchange support for the importation of non-essential goods.
Earlier, BOG in an electronic notice announced the withdrawal of foreign exchange support to importers for the importation of certain non-critical or essential goods.
The goods affected include rice, poultry, vegetable oils, toothpicks, pasta, fruit juice, bottled water and ceramic tiles.
Speaking in an interview on Joy News’ The Pulse on Thursday, Mr John Awuni said the order is in the right direction.
This, he explained is because the country is currently in an economic crisis.
According to him, the withdrawal of FX support for the importation of these items will help the country to focus on consumption of locally produced goods.
“On the face value, it is a very good policy. In the sense that we are in very difficult and critical times … for me in terms of economics, that is right,” he said.
He, however noted that, “the timing is wrong. The decision has not been formulated based on any information…You cannot classify rice and vegetable oil as non-essential…we are not prepared as a country to produce these on our own.”
- West Hills Mall death: Shop manager remanded
- Ablakwa kicks court writ on the ground upon service by bailiff
- Rev Kusi Boateng injuncts Ablakwa from further publications on him
- Growing list of companies ordered by GRA to pay back-taxes
- GOIL attributes drop in diesel price to Gold for Oil barter deal
- Rev Victor Kusi Boateng sues Ablakwa for defamation
- I’ve instructed my lawyers to act on Rev Kusi Boateng’s injunction against me – Ablakwa
- Check out Akufo-Addo’s reaction as Black Sherif performs for him
- Diana Hamilton reveals why she won’t talk about National Cathedral
- Ex-policeman gets death penalty for lawyer’s murder
- Musk found not guilty of fraud over Tesla tweet
- Man shot by police was cleaning out – family
- Number of staff suing Twitter ‘goes up daily’ – lawyer
- Nursing and Midwifery institutes prioritising theory over practical skills – Oncologist
- I started smoking at the age of 11 – Musician OJ Blaq reveals
- Ebenezer Kojo Kum resigns as Chieftaincy Minister
- President Akufo-Addo accepts Chieftaincy Minister’s resignation
- Livestream: One-on-one with Seth Terkper on PM Express
- I did national service in Aliu Mahama’s office despite being NDC member – Sam George
- Flora Tissue grants renowned actor Fred Amugi’s 74th birthday wish
- I’m unable to confirm whether 1st gold for oil consignment was paid in cash – Deputy BoG Governor
- I’ll later explain my comment about people who watch movies for long hours – Yaw Dabo
- University of Ghana VC must go – Concerned students demand
- Groundworks underway for construction of modern film studios in Ghana, West Africa – Idris Elba
- GRA withdraws $672m back-tax demand from MTN Group