Audio By Carbonatix
The Brazilian government halted work on two temporary tribunes for Sao Paulo's World Cup stadium after the death of another construction worker, media reports said.
A new inspection of the Corinthians club stadium to be used for the World Cup opening match between Brazil and Croatia on June 12 was to be carried out on Tuesday.
The worker died on Saturday after an eight metre (26 feet) fall. Three workers have now been killed during the Sao Paulo construction and seven in World Cup work across Brazil.
According to press reports, the man who died on Saturday may not have been wearing safety equipment. His employers have denied this.
The regional labour department ordered construction work halted on the two temporary tribunes until the company carrying out the work installs safety nets.
The two tribunes have a capacity of 20,000 people and the Brazilian organisers are racing to get the stadium ready on time.
Fast Engenharia, the company carrying out the construction, said in a statement to the G1 news website it would carry out a technical inspection Tuesday before making any comment on the impact of the latest accident.
FIFA has already extended the deadline once for Sao Paulo. It is now scheduled for delivery in mid-April, though organisers admit the work will not be completely finished.
FIFA president Sepp Blatter said last Thursday that the stadium would be ready for the opening match.
In November, two workers were killed at the Corinthians stadium when a crane fell.
Brazilian authorities are also wrangling over who will pay an estimated 26 million dollars for temporary tribunes in World Cup stadiums.
Latest Stories
-
International Day of the Boy Child marked in Accra
4 minutes -
BoG losses will not recur at last year’s scale — Governor Asiama assures
18 minutes -
Without trust, digital finance is just technology – BoG Governor
41 minutes -
Mental disorders increase by 95.5% globally since 1990 – Study
42 minutes -
See the areas that will be affected by ECG’s planned maintenance on May 25
43 minutes -
Fire destroys six-bedroom house in Koforidua
2 hours -
Government deploys armoured buses disguised as VIP, STC and OA coaches to fight highway robberies
2 hours -
GES director raises alarm over 300 teacher deficits in the Asutifi North District
2 hours -
Ghana’s Isaac Nii Ayetey Tagoe wins bronze at Oran World Para Powerlifting 2026
4 hours -
FHU alumnus launches medical textbook
4 hours -
Ghana’s Isaac Obeng clinches bronze at Oran World Para Powerlifting 2026
4 hours -
Rescuers search for more than 20 trapped after Philippines building collapse
5 hours -
Publican AI and the A–B–C Corridor
5 hours -
Blast targeting train kills at least 20 in Pakistan
5 hours -
Attacks on Ebola centres intensify in eastern DRC amid outbreak fears
5 hours