Brazil and Argentina’s World Cup qualifier was abandoned just minutes after kick-off on Sunday after Brazilian health officials objected to the participation of three Argentine players they believe broke quarantine rules.
The visitors walked off the pitch at the Corinthians Arena after the officials came out to stop the game.
The dramatic intervention came hours after Brazil’s health authorities had said four England-based players for Argentina had to quarantine.
Although it did not name the four, the players with English Premier League clubs are Emiliano Buendia and Emiliano Martinez of Aston Villa, and Giovani lo Celso and Cristian Romero of Tottenham Hotspur.
Martinez, Lo Celso and Romero all started the game in Sao Paulo.
No date for the rearranged fixture has been set with Argentina players leaving to prepare for their next World Cup qualifier – at home to Bolivia on Friday, 10 September.
Fifa will now gather evidence from all sides to fully understand the events that led to the match suspension before it decides on the most appropriate course of action.
Around one hour after the game was stopped and while Brazilian players organised an impromptu training session on the pitch, South American football’s governing body Conmebol said in a statement:
“By decision of the match referee, the match organized by Fifa between Brazil and Argentina for the World Cup Qualifiers is suspended.
“The referee and the match commissioner will submit a report to the Fifa Disciplinary Committee, which will determine the steps to be followed. These procedures strictly adhere to current regulations.”
Under Brazilian rules, visitors who have been in the UK in the 14 days before entering the country must quarantine for 14 days on arrival.
“We got to this point because everything that ANVISA directed, from the first moment, was not fulfilled,” Antonio Barra Torres, director at Brazil’s health regulator Anvisa, said on Brazilian television, according to AFP.
“[The four players] were directed to remain isolated while awaiting deportation, but they did not comply. They went to the stadium and they entered the field, in a series of breaches,” the official added.
‘At no time were we notified we could not play’
Argentina boss Lionel Scaloni said it was disappointing a resolution could not be found before the game got under way.
“It makes me very sad,” he said. “I am not looking for any culprit. If something happened or did not happen, it was not the time to make that intervention.
“It should have been a party for everyone, to enjoy the best players in the world. I would like the people of Argentina to understand that as a coach I have to defend my players.
“At no time were we notified that they couldn’t play the match. We wanted to play the match, the Brazilian footballers too.”
The Argentine Football Association said the team had been in Brazil since 3 September and had complied with all the health protocols.
“Football should not experience these kinds of episodes that undermine the sportsmanship of such an important competition,” it said.
Brazilian Football Confederation president Ednaldo Rodrigues criticised the health officials for the timing of their intervention.
“I feel sorry for all the sports fans who wanted to watch the game on television,” he told Brazil’s Sportv.
“With all due respect to Anvisa, they could have resolved this earlier and not waited for the game to start.”
- Scrap dealers steal digital address plates on houses in Ngleshie Amanfro
- Mechanically-milled fufu safe from heavy metals but beware of overindulgence -KNUST Researchers
- Mineral Commission shuts down Maxam Ghana Limited
- E-Levy has already been approved by Parliament – Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu
- Interdicting Chief Inspector of Mines, suspending Maxam Company’s license not proof of wrongdoing – Lands Minister
- Government has $750m sitting here; we don’t have to go out to borrow – Deputy Finance Minister
- Investor concerns about Ghana are being exaggerated – John Kumah
- Apeatse explosion: Interdicting Chief Inspector of Mines a knee-jerk reaction – Government told
- Regina King ‘devastated’ after 26-year-old son, Ian Alexander, dies
- Restore military security for Bagbin – Wa East MP charges Defence, National Security ministers
Psychological effect of semester system on students, teachers would’ve been unbearable – GNAT
Gold Fields donates relief items worth $29k to Apeatse victims
Apeatse explosion: We should make every effort to prevent such unfortunate accidents – Ghana Chamber of Mines
LaLiga commiserates with victims of Apeatse explosion
Bawumia attends UN Security Council Meeting
Mechanically-milled fufu safe from heavy metals but beware of overindulgence -KNUST Researchers
Minority calls for independent probe into circumstances that led to Bogoso-Apeatse explosion
E-Levy has already been approved by Parliament – Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu
Government has $750m sitting here; we don’t have to go out to borrow – Deputy Finance Minister
UNESCO, WinE and GhIE hold career development programme for female engineering students in Ghana
Economy may collapse in the absence of remedial measures by government – Seth Terkper
Regina King ‘devastated’ after 26-year-old son, Ian Alexander, dies
363 Police recruits sworn-in at Ho
Semester system could’ve helped teachers pursue higher education – GES Council Chairman
Mineral Commission shuts down Maxam Ghana Limited