A celebrity Brazilian plastic surgeon known as Dr Bumbum has gone on the run after a woman died following injections he gave her to enlarge her bottom.
Investigators say Dr Denis Furtado carried out the procedure on Lilian Calixto at his home in Rio de Janeiro but she fell ill during the procedure.
Dr Furtado took her to a hospital where her condition worsened and she died some hours later, police said.
He then disappeared and a judge has issued a warrant for his arrest.
Dr Furtado, 45, appears regularly on Brazilian TV and has nearly 650,000 followers on his Instagram account.
Ms Calixto, a 46-year-old married mother-of-two who works in banking, had travelled from her home in Cuiaba, central Brazil, to undergo buttock enhancement by Dr Furtado on Saturday evening, reports said.
The procedure, believed to involve the injection of acrylic glass filler, took place at his apartment in the upmarket district of Barra de Tijuca.
Lilian Calixto went to Dr Furtado's apartment for the procedure to enhance her buttocks
The Hospital Barra D'Or in Rio de Janeiro said that, despite efforts to save her, Ms Calixto was "unresponsive to manoeuvres" and died early on Sunday morning. The exact reason for her death has not been confirmed.
Police said Dr Furtado's girlfriend was arrested on suspicion of taking part in the procedure.The Regional Medical Council of the State of Rio de Janeiro (Cremerj) said it had opened an investigation into Ms Calixto's death.
Niveo Steffen, president of the Brazilian Plastic Surgery Society, said there was a "growing invasion of non-specialists" in the industry.
"You cannot perform plastic surgery inside an apartment," he told AFP news agency.
"Many people are selling a dream, a fantasy to patients in an unethical way and people, weakened, are often attracted to low prices, without considering whether or not the conditions are adequate," he said.
- Veteran actor Ekow Blankson has passed on
- Photos: Actor ‘Waakye’, laid to rest
- ECG system challenges an internal attack, initiate investigations – Sam George to government
- I am not into galamsey – Chairman Wontumi
- “We’re building a thriving tourism economy in Ghana” – Akufo-Addo
- National Security arrests Imam for having links to jihadist group
- Adwoa Smart cries at Prince Yawson’s funeral
- ECG conducting a system audit after technical challenge – General Manager
- SSNIT, other companies shut down Bawku office over security concerns
- Cedi loses 40% value to dollar in nine months of 2022; places 147th position in world – Bloomberg
- Kim Kardashian charged over crypto ‘pump and dump’ case
- Gabby Otchere-Darko hangs out with Arsenal players after win over Spurs
- I’m being pressured to join Hearts of Oak – Annor Walker
- Mahama’s administration completed 46 E-blocks, not 29 – NDC
- Indonesia: Fans ‘died in the arms’ of players in stadium crush
- Ghana re-elected to ITU Council
- There is a deliberate unwillingness to fight galamsey – Kwesi Aning
- Social media reacts to death of Ekow Blankson
- Patapaa has a talent of making hit songs; he is unique – Flowking Stone
- Block all revenue leakages – Finance Ministry to NLA
- Pete Edochie and wife celebrate 53rd marriage anniversary
- Brazil’s Lula and Bolsonaro face run-off after surprisingly tight result￼
- Vodafone Ghana to reward customers in 2022 Care Month Celebration
- Nigeria beat hosts Ghana to win MEA Rugby League Championship
- Vodafone partners with Onix to provide world-class data centre services to businesses