Six inmates are on the run after breaking out of a California jail in the United States over the weekend using an improvised rope.
Dozens of investigators are scouring the region looking for them.
Law enforcement officials warned the public that they should be considered “armed and dangerous”. One of them was being held on a murder charge.
California prison break: Six inmates on run after improvised rope escape https://t.co/bqMBttgPD4— BBC North America (@BBCNorthAmerica) January 11, 2021
The jail break happened late on Saturday night, according to Merced County Sheriff Vernon Warnke.
The fugitives are thought to have managed to get on to the roof of Merced County Downtown Jail in central California and used braided sheets to escape.
But guards did not realise the men were missing until the next morning.
The inmates include Fabian Cruz Roman, 22, who is charged with murder, and Andres Nunez Rodriguez, 21, and Gabriel Francis Coronado, 19, who are both charged with attempted murder.
“They’re not going to be out there trying to sell Girl Scout Cookies. They’re going to try and get away from this area, I believe, as fast as they can,” Mr Warnke said.
The sheriff has assembled a taskforce to try to track them down.
According to the San Francisco Chronicle newspaper, Mr Warnke told reporters the only other escape he remembered during his 41-year career with the Merced Sheriff’s office was decades ago when a prisoner was smuggled out in a laundry basket.
- Four charged for violating restrictions on public gathering at Christ Embassy ‘Pneumatica Night’
- NSMQ 2021: PRESEC beats Achimota, Chemu and Odorgonno SHS to be crowned Regional Champions
- What is the big deal? – Brigitte Dzogbenuku on WGHS refusing to let students fast
- Akufo-Addo accepts Kissi Agyebeng’s nomination as Special Prosecutor, seeks Parliamentary approval
- Police secures restraining order against #FixTheCountry protest on May 9
- Our job is to fix problems; we are fixing them – Bawumia
- #FixTheCountry: We’ll use the courts to set aside order against May 9 protest – Economic Fighters League
- Dominic Ayine questions independence of judiciary
- Ghana takes delivery of 350,000 doses of Covid-19 vaccine
- Government declares Thursday, May 13, as public holiday to mark Eid-ul-Fitr
I had sex with a goat, masturbated 6 times a day – Victim of sexual abuse recounts
Help us counter insurgent operation – Bawumia charges Prison Cadet graduands
Chinese rocket set to crash back to Earth at unknown location
More than 50 killed in fight over water resources in Central Asia
Oldest human burial in Africa found – A child laid to rest with pillow 78,000 years ago
He blocked me just a day after we had sex – Lady recounts
Feuding factions in decades-old Osu chieftaincy dispute smoke peace pipe
Eden Hazard apologises to Real Madrid fans for laughing with Chelsea players
Legon Cities deny Bashir Hayford’s dismissal rumors
Mahama Ayariga acquitted, Opuni ordered to open his defence
GPL: Four games to lookout for on matchday 23
Fix our road or we’ll fix it ourselves with your revenue – Darisalam youth to Central Gonja District Assembly
Chief allegedly orders for school to be demolished for his palace at Adumasa
Government declares Thursday, May 13, as public holiday to mark Eid-ul-Fitr
Prince Philip’s cause of death has been confirmed