The Commonwealth has developed a coronavirus tracker that shows daily cases in member countries.
The tracker collects data from the World Health Organization (WHO) and shows the total confirmed coronavirus cases and deaths in the affected member countries.
The tool is designed to help countries prepare and respond to the pandemic.
The disease, caused by coronavirus is known as COVID-19, has infected more than 218,000 people and killed 8,800 in over 100 countries.
Assistant Secretary-General Nabeel Goheer said: “Coronavirus has rapidly spread across the world affecting people, livelihoods and nations.
“The Commonwealth, as an organisation that believes in innovation, has prepared this tracker that offers real-time and accurate insight for governments to make informed decisions on this worsening crisis.”
As of 23 March, the online tracker shows 12,707 Commonwealth citizens have been infected and 340 have died in some member countries.
A Commonwealth analysis suggests access to hospital beds and ventilators are limited in many countries, which could present a major challenge if coronavirus is not contained early enough.
Kathleen McCourt, President of the Commonwealth Nurses and Midwives Federation, said: “Commonwealth nurses and midwives are at the forefront of the global Covid-19 response.
“They are reporting inadequate access to personal protective equipment, being asked to work in unfamiliar environments and inconsistent or absent access to testing for healthcare workers
“We are encouraging national organisations to contribute data to the Commonwealth coronavirus tracker. This data will better prepare and equip healthcare workers to tackle this global emergency.”
She urged Commonwealth countries to work with health professionals to ensure healthcare workers are protected and able to care for their patients safely and appropriately.
The tracker is part of the Innovation Hub, which Secretary-General Patricia Scotland established in 2018. The online hub promotes the cutting-edge ideas and innovations of the Commonwealth’s 2.4 billion people, 54 member countries and 90 accredited organisations.
A Commonwealth’s health protection policy toolkit is available on the Innovation Hub. The toolkit looks at the effects of pandemics on global security and offers solutions to strengthen health protection systems.
- “We shall also be blessed with Ghana Miracle” – Finance Minister speaks on economy recovery
- GFA suspends 2022/23 Ghana Premier League over court injunction
- Disregard statement declaring Friday, Sept 30 as a holiday – Oyibi Divisional Council
- ‘Impugning the motives of Judges is actually undermining integrity of Judiciary’ – Judges and Magistrates Association
- UTAG, 3 other university labour unions threaten to go on strike on October 5
- GFA suspends AshantiGold SC for dealing with banned club president and son
- Ghana will transition from fossil fuel to renewable energy by 2070 – Bawumia
- Step aside, find out if agency obtained right to use Ayat’s content – Copyright Attorney tells GTA, Tourism Ministry
- Nord Stream: Sweden finds new leak in Russian gas pipeline
- GTA boss names agency in copyright feud with Kirani Ayat, reveals how footage was obtained
- International Day of Awareness of Food Loss and Waste 2022 – “Stop food waste for the people and the planet”
- QLAC MD is new President of Association of Insurers and Reinsurers
- 11 takeaways from GFA decision to suspend ongoing Premier League season
- We will still be a prime supplier of Mercedes-Benz services in Ghana – Silver Star
- Ghana to transition from fossil to renewable energy by 2070 – Bawumia
- Cedi registers unprecedented weekly decline in trading against dollar as demand surges
- EJF releases film on net free seas project
- Full text: Ursula Owusu-Ekuful’s speech at 2022 ITU conference
- CBG commissions ultra-modern SME centre at Kokomlemle, relocates Trade Fair branch to Ultimate Height Building in La
- Ghana reaffirms commitment to strategic direction set by ITU to ensure universal connectivity
- Fuse ODG also cites GTA for unauthorised use of his content
- Floods kill one at Anwomaso-Bebre in Ashanti Region
- Cal Asset Management introduces 2 new investment products
- Podcast: Explaining the genesis and effects of GFA suspension of the betPawa Premier League
- Banking industry remains robust against extreme loan impairment in 2021 – BoG Stress Test