Audio By Carbonatix
Sixteen people have been confirmed as contracting the H1N1 Flu in the Central Region with the lasted four more people at Ayipey in the Asikuma-Odoben-Brakwa (AOB) district of the Central Region as at Sunday.
Dr. John Eleeza, Deputy Director in charge of Public Health who disclosed this at a media briefing on the update of the outbreak of the disease in the region at Mfantsipim School on Monday, said 10 of the cases are from Mfantsipim and the rest from Ayipey.
He said so far 40 who have been into contact with infected people and are suspected to have contracted the virus have been put on medication at Ayipey, while as at Sunday 193 students from Mfantsipim had been screened with 20 suspected cases receiving treatment.
In all a total of 83 students were given treatment at the Mfantsipim School over the weekend.
Dr Eleeza explained that all the cases in the AOB district are from the Ayipey Primary and Junior High school, which has been closed down to check further spread.
He gave the assurance that the whole region was on high alert and that the response team was working around the clock to stem further outbreak of the disease both in Mfantsipim School and at Ayipey.
Dr Eleeza urged the public not to panic, but report any flu-like symptoms to a health facility near them for urgent treatment, explaining that the flu is a viral disease that could be effectively managed by his outfit.
Dr Joseph Nuertey, the Cape Coast Metro Health Director said even though the situation is under control, an ambulance is on standby to transfer serious cases and that health personnel were working to ensure that it was controlled further.
Meanwhile authorities at the Mfantsipim School had insisted that it was not advisable to close down the school because the consequences could be disastrous.
The Headmaster, Mr Mieza Edjah noted that it was not advisable to send the students home because it will give the problem an "uncontrolled dimension" as those who have contracted the virus maybe in the incubation stage and could go home and infect their relatives.
He said a medical team has been dispatched to the school and screening was on-going to ensure treatment for all infected students, and appealed to parents to cooperate with the authorities and assured them that they will soon go home.
Source: GNA
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Your voice, your future – Opare Addo opens National Youth Forum 2026
8 minutes -
GRA pushes data-driven tax administration to boost revenue mobilisation
17 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Presby SHS, Bompata crushes Sacred Heart’s hopes of reaching one-eighth stage
18 minutes -
GTEC trains tertiary officials on new affiliation quality assurance framework
27 minutes -
Luv FM High School Debate: OKESS, OSASS silence K’Wey Gey and KASS in fierce round of 16
27 minutes -
Alcaraz to play US Open after four months out
27 minutes -
Even if all foreigners leave, South Africa’s problems will remain – Dr Yamson blames state failure
42 minutes -
Energy Committee yet to receive July 29 blackout report – Adomako-Mensah
1 hour -
Five in six Ghana health facilities fall short of basic sanitation standard – WHO/UNICEF
1 hour -
Mohammed Fuseini in talks over Troyes move from Union SG
1 hour -
‘Bear with the system’ – Energy Ministry says temporary power control room to be ready by September
2 hours -
Two nationwide blackouts in a space of a month ‘cause for worry’ – Adomako-Mensah
2 hours -
Technical challenges affecting tax payments are being resolved—GRA
2 hours -
Ghana Premier League 2026/27: What to expect from the new season
2 hours -
Academic who accused Jason Arday of plagiarism suspended by university
2 hours