The former president of the Republic of Congo, Jacques Joaquim Yhombi-Opango, has died in Paris from complications related to coronavirus.
He was 81 years old. His family said he had been ill before contracting the virus.
Mr Yhombi-Opango led Congo-Brazzaville from 1977 until he was toppled in 1979 by the country’s current leader, Denis Sassou Nguesso.
He spent several years in prison before multi-party democracy was introduced in 1991 and served as prime minister until civil war broke out in 1997.
He went into exile in France, before being allowed to return home 10 years later.
- Qatar 2022: Retired English referee Mike Dean questions officiating in Ghana’s loss to Portugal
- Nigerian gospel singer Sammie Okposo slumps and dies at 51
- Paa Kwesi Schandorf: Ghana’s loss to Portugal; a mixture of Otto Addo’s sins and a referee’s unrighteousness
- Qatar 2022: Social media yet to get over Bukari’s Ronaldo-inspired ‘Siuuu’ celebration
- Anas’ Tiger Eye responds to allegations of extortion and blackmail
- I fear for Ghana; 2023 budget was a disappointment – Bopkin
- Ad-hoc Committee lays report of censure motion against Ofori-Atta before Parliament
- Osman Bukari defends ‘Siuuu’ celebration
- TUC opposes employment freeze in Public Sector
- Andre Ayew is the man for the big occasions – Asamoah Gyan
- Indonesian woman’s body found inside python, say reports
- England: ‘Three Lions still on track at World Cup despite turning clock back to dismal summer’
- Roland O. Akosah: The way it is; other ways it could be – Farmer’s Day in perspective
- FBNBank Ghana unveils winners of ‘To Qatar We Go promotion’
- Incest, a scar on a mother’s conscience
- 2023 budget is unfriendly to the youth – Northern Regional Youth Network
- South Africa police investigate killing of Zulu king’s ally
- Tobinco Pharmaceuticals Training Institute graduates 96 Medical Counter Assistants
- Ghana’s economic growth to slow down in 2023
- Phone repairer inflicts machete wounds on labourer over non-payment of rent
- New-born unit of Sandema Hospital appeals for incubators
- Africa women face highest risk of killing by family – UN
- Relationship allowance debated at Namibia’s men’s conference
- Malawi vice-president arrested over corruption
- We’re invigorating young minds to see the opportunities the agricultural sector holds – Blue Skies