Audio By Carbonatix
The Criminal Investigation Department (CID) of the Ghana Police Service has busted Abubakar Sadick, an absentia convict, in a car robbery syndicate across Ghana.
Abubakar and his alleged accomplices are to pose as members of a Non-Governmental Organisation or a religious group, approach car rental companies under the guise of renting them for missions in parts of Northern Ghana, but rob them in secluded areas.
Commissioner of Police (COP) Lydia Yaako Donkor, Director General of Criminal Investigation Department (CID), who made this known during a joint Police/Cyber Security Authority (CSA) press conference on Monday, said Abubakar rented a Toyota Land Cruiser for missions only to tie the driver to a tree and rob the car at Malzeri close to Yendi.
A similar incident occurred in January 2023, when another Land Cruiser was stolen under the same pretext.
Abubakar had been on the police wanted list since November 11, 2022, COP Donkor said.
She said in April 2023, a Toyota Vitz was also taken and later sold in Bolgatanga, adding that through investigations and sustained intelligence efforts, the police identified Abubakar, the key suspect, when a warrant was issued for his arrest.
He was then placed on the police wanted list, immigration stop list and an Interpol red notice, COP Donkor said.
In February 2023, the police were informed that Abubakar had been arrested by the Burkina Faso Police, but he escaped before his extradition.
“On July 28, 2025, Abubakar Sadick was finally arrested in Accra through a joint operation involving the CID’s Anti-Armed Robbery Unit and National Security,” COP Donkor said, adding that he was assisting the police in the investigation.
“It is of interest to note that the Cape Coast High Court had previously sentenced the suspect in absentia to 25 years imprisonment in hard labour for a 2021 robbery in Breman Asikuma,” she said.
COP Donkor noted that Abubakar was implicated in several other car thefts under investigation.
She advised the public, particularly car rental operators and victims of similar incidents, to report to the CID Headquarters to assist with investigations, whilst efforts were underway to apprehend the alleged accomplices.
Divine Selase Agbeti, Director General of the Cyber Security Authority, on his part, said the collaboration reflected the shared commitment to ensuring a safer and secure digital environment for all residents and businesses in Ghana.
Latest Stories
-
‘I was born in South Africa’, says beauty queen Chidimma Adetshina facing legal bid to deport her
2 hours -
Prince Harry and Meghan moving back to UK
2 hours -
Ghana’s output expansion largely driven by labour, capital rather than innovation – Opoku-Afari
2 hours -
Ghana is ready for nuclear power adoption – Gov’t affirmsÂ
2 hours -
GJA@77: Media-government partnership vital to Ghana’s democracy – Shamima Muslim
3 hours -
LUV FM High School Debate: Opoku Ware and St. Hubert Seminary book quarterfinal spots
3 hours -
Stronger research, industry linkages needed to build a competitive digital economy – Deloitte Technology Senior Manager
3 hours -
Economy experience high but unbalanced growth from mid-2000 to 2022 debt crisis – Former 1st Deputy Governor
3 hours -
Tell Your Story: Political, business and industry leaders to share journey with young Ghanaians
3 hours -
‘Gold cannot save you at 2am’ – Obuobia Darko challenges mining giants to invest in healthcare
3 hours -
Wontumi’s incarceration will not stop his chairmanship bid – Palgrave
3 hours -
Eurobond borrowings over 2007-2021 used for budget financing; Ghana borrowed US$15.59bn – Opoku-Afari
4 hours -
Newborn baby found in dustbin at Kasoa Main Station toilet
4 hours -
Ghanaian skincare brand KAEME wins DHL ESG Excellence Exporter of the Year award
4 hours -
Ho Communique: Democracy Not for Sale
5 hours