Brazil’s players have criticised the decision to hold the Copa America in their country.
South American Football Confederation Conmebol moved the tournament from Argentina on 1 June.
Co-hosts Colombia had already been dropped amid civil unrest there.
“For different reasons, be they humanitarian or professional, we are not satisfied with the way the Copa America has been handled by Conmebol,” the players said.
Brazilian media had reported the team were unhappy at not being consulted about the decision. But the players’ statement said they had never considered boycotting the tournament.
The statement, posted on the players’ personal social media accounts, appeared soon after the team beat Paraguay 2-0 in a World Cup qualifier in Asuncion – the first time they had won in the country since 1985.
“All the recent facts make us believe it was an inadequate process,” the statement said.
Brazil has recorded more than 475,000 deaths attributed to coronavirus, the second highest number in the world after the US.
However, Brazil’s president Jair Bolsonaro has defended the decision to allow the tournament to go ahead in his country, insisting it did not pose a health risk.
Players did not address the pandemic directly.
Argentina was stripped of the tournament just two weeks before it starts, on 13 June, with organisers citing coronavirus and the “present circumstances”.
Colombia was removed as co-host on 20 May because of civil unrest there.
- Florida: 13ft alligator killed after it was spotted with human remains in its mouth
- Alan Kyerematen, Sammy Gyamfi and others mourn with Kwame A Plus at late father’s funeral
- FDA sensitizes traders and patients on medicine adverse reactions
- Mohbad: Nigerian nurse association says health worker who treated late singer not registered
- Graduated students urged to keep developing their skills for success
- Building contractor accused of defiling his stepdaughter freed
- 21500 healthcare workers benefit from health workforce programme
- France to end its military presence in Niger by end of 2023 – Macron
- Ghana’s gross reserves stood at 1.0 month of import cover in August 2023; trade surplus hits $2.016bn – BoG
- Alan to speak on Monday on political future after quitting NPP flagbearer race
- Livestream: The Probe discusses impact of #OccupyJulorbiHouse protest
- Dr. Sa-ad Iddrisu: Historians must document all human rights violations under Akufo-Addo’s watch
- Yaw Nsarkoh: Osagyefo & The Madiba: Global Africa in Search of Transformational Leadership in the 21st Century
- Ghanaian forward Ibrahim Sadiq gets assist as AZ Alkmaar win big in Eredivisie
- Nhyira Fm’s Mama Effe honoured at Mali’s 63rd Independence celebration in Kumasi