Audio By Carbonatix
The High Court in Accra has issued a bench warrant for the arrest of the Director General (DG) of the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) of the Ghana Police and the DG of the Legal and Prosecution Unit of the Ghana Police Service.
The arrest orders were issued following the persistent failure of the two to appear in court to answer for alleged contempt charges.
The court's decision came in response to an application filed by Sureword Global Outreach, seeking an order for the respondents to release a vehicle they had impounded, with registration number GN 2925-20 to the applicant.
Despite the court's orders, the respondents repeatedly failed to appear before the court, leading to the issuance of the bench warrant.
During proceedings on Monday, April 15, Counsel for the applicant, Abraham Arthur, moved an application for the committal of the CID boss and the DG of the Legal and Prosecution Unit for contempt.
The court found that the respondents had "blatantly refused" to honour its directives, prompting the issuance of the arrest warrants.
The Court had specifically ordered the IGP to order the Director General of the Criminal Investigation Department of the Ghana Police Service as well as the Director of the Legal and Prosecution of the Ghana Police Service to appear before the court Monday morning, and while the orders had been carried out, the two respondents were not in court.
According to the court, there was evidence on record to show that the court orders had been carried out and that there was affidavit of service indicating that the order of the court to serve on the IGP had been carried out.
Again, a previous order was served on the IGP on March 26.
"This court has extended enough courtesy to these public officers and due to the fact that there is nobody above the law, I hereby issue a bench warrant for the arrest of the respondents," said the court.
Latest Stories
-
Moody’s upgrades EBID rating to B1, citing stronger finances and shareholder support
6 minutes -
GoldBod cannot make losses trading gold – Afenyo-Markin
14 minutes -
Papaye, KFC and Pizzaman customers among most targeted as TrustGH uncovers nearly 1,000 scam numbers cloning Google business profiles of major food chains
24 minutes -
2026 U20 WWC: ‘We are in a tough group’ – Black Princesses’ Linda Owusu Ansah
31 minutes -
2026 U20 WWC: Ghana’s Ambassador to Czech Republic welcomes Black Princesses to Poland
57 minutes -
Oti NPP executives demand completion of stalled government projects
1 hour -
Jinapor demands answers as Alima Mahama is asked to pay for Embassy spending outside her tenure
1 hour -
Russia doubles scholarships for Ghanaian students to 240 annually
1 hour -
Cedi’s year-to-date loss slumps to 4.09% as recent gains gather pace
2 hours -
‘Home has spoken’ – Justin Kodua Frimpong says as Ashanti delegates back his re-election bid
2 hours -
Mustapha Abdul-Hamid, seven others’ NPA case adjourned to August 27
2 hours -
Alima Mahama Refund: Jinapor challenges Ablakwa’s authority, says only Auditor-General can surcharge
2 hours -
Wontumi Conviction: 2 star witnesses placed under police protection amid death threats
2 hours -
Srem-Sai reveals surge in death threats after Wontumi conviction
2 hours -
GCB, Ecobank, 4 others are top tier banks in Ghana – PwC Banking Survey
2 hours