England's national lockdown has helped to bring coronavirus "back under control" but vigilance is still needed, the health secretary has said.
Matt Hancock hailed the restrictions a success and said infections in England dropped by about 30% in the last week.
The lockdown ends on Wednesday and will be replaced with tiered restrictions.
Mr Hancock stressed the need for the regional system, saying "while we can let up a little, we can't afford to let up a lot".
Covid: Virus under control but vigilance needed - Hancock https://t.co/4JK4xafCOA pic.twitter.com/yxPg9fjdGS
— Qa Dept (@QaDept) November 30, 2020
Speaking at a Downing Street news briefing on Monday, he said people following the lockdown rules meant "we've reduced pressures on the NHS, we've brought down the number of coronavirus cases, we've got this virus back under control."
He added: "The success of our collective efforts means that from Wednesday, everyone in England, even those in tier three, can have some greater freedoms - but we don't have much headroom."
Mr Hancock pointed to a major study from Imperial College London that has suggested that the number of infections has fallen by a third since the lockdown was introduced a month ago.
However, the health secretary called for vigilance and said the country could not risk Covid cases rising again as we head towards Christmas.
Prof Stephen Powis, national medical director of NHS England, told the same briefing that it was "crucial" to have infection rates under control ahead of January, when the NHS is at its busiest.
Latest Stories
-
GPL 2024/25: Basake Holy Stars aims to break duck against Berekum Chelsea
57 minutes -
US tariffs: Ministers of Trade, Finance and Foreign Affairs to engage US Ambassador on April 7
57 minutes -
Karpowership Ghana appoints Oscar Kojo Amonoo-Neizer as Managing Director
1 hour -
With Mahama’s confidence, Dr Naomi Kwetey vows to drive financial transformation at CBG
1 hour -
CDM mounts pressure on Mahama gov’t to probe ‘suspicious flights’ saga
1 hour -
Suspicious flights’ saga: CDM slams Kwakye Ofosu’s conduct, urges Mahama to uphold decency
1 hour -
Ghana can’t be a cocaine coast – CDM to Mahama gov’t
1 hour -
CDM criticises Felix Kwakye Ofosu’s ‘clown’ comment directed at Rev Ntim Fordjour
2 hours -
Painter accused of stealing Bank of Ghana cables granted GH¢1M bail
2 hours -
I didn’t walk out of Newsfile – Ntim Fordjour refutes claims by Sammy Gyamfi
2 hours -
Ablakwa reveals Foreign Ministry’s $15m annual rent bill
2 hours -
‘Ghanaians want the truth, not drama’- CDM warns against political spin in suspicious flights probe
2 hours -
Preserving national dignity in the face of sensitive allegations: A call for decency, truth, and accountability
2 hours -
KNUST Registrar’s Office launches Excellence Awards to honour staff dedication
3 hours -
Police arrest two suspects over viral firearm discharge video
4 hours