The Minority in Parliament has said the Akufo-Addo government’s plan to introduce Comprehensive Sexuality Education (CSE) in public schools amounts to “cultural and moral terrorism.”
Minority leader Haruna Iddrisu, at a press conference Friday, said the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) will “resist” any move to introduce CSE which is believed to be a subtle conditioning of children to explore lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) lifestyles.
Government is under pressure to come clean on CSE plan after it emerged the Ghana Education Service (GES) has developed Guidelines on Comprehensive Sexuality Education.
The Service has said the document circulating in the media has not been approved while the Education Minister, Mathew Opoku Prempeh has also stressed the new curricula being taught in schools does not include CSE.
There are snapshots of teacher training manuals showing that CSE were part of materials used to train teachers on the new curriculum.
The 2019 budget statement also captures the government stating its commitment to introduce Comprehensive Sexuality Education in public schools.
Parents and religious organisations are incensed by attempts to introduce CSE in schools. The President of the Ghana Pentecostal and Charismatic Council (GPCC), Rev. Prof. Paul Frimpong-Manso, describing CSE as “Comprehensive Satanic Engagement.
Haruna Iddrisu said President Akufo-Addo is the “lead anchor” for the introduction of LGBT in Ghana and referenced his controversial comment in an interview with Al-Jazeera in November 2017 on the legalisation of homosexuality.
The President said that there isn’t sufficient activism on the legalisation of homosexuality in Ghana but if such advocacy proves strong, then it is “bound to happen”
Haruna Iddrisu said that comment showed the President subtly supports deviant sexual lifestyles. “The hypocrisy of Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo…is now crystal clear.”
The Minority expressed shock at government’s denial and said there is credible evidence that government received $22million from Sweden for the implementation of CSE.
He claimed the government has promised international partners, Ghana will “do everything politically possible to overcome social resistance and operational constraints”
- Overborrowing is one of Akufo-Addo’s biggest mistakes – Prof Adei
- Fella Makafui reacts after Twitter user accuses her of ‘sleeping’ with Medikal’s ex-manager
- ‘Western Togoland’: 5 secessionists handed 5 years in jail each
- GALLERY: Best pictures from Black Stars training at Accra Sports Stadium on Monday
- Go to school, don’t wait to get everything on your prospectus – Education Minister to SHS freshers
- My wife got to know she was pregnant after robbery attack – Akesse Brempong
- John Mahama files nomination to contest NDC flagbearer race
- DDEP: Financial institutions regulators should protect customers, not government – Dan Seddoh
- Profile of Anthony Akoto Osei
- Falling interest rates to boost private sector growth – Alhassan Andani
- We are one people – Bawumia and Mahama laud peaceful enskinment of new Yagbonwura
- Kylian Mbappe replaces Hugo Lloris as France national team captain
- AFCON 2023Q: Black Stars hold first training at Baba Yara Stadium [Photos]
- Alpha Beta Christian College wins 2nd Inter-School Girls Debate Championship
- Today’s front pages: Wednesday, March 22, 2023
- NDC Parliamentary primaries: We’re not protecting any sitting MP – Sammy Gyamfi
- Your electricity bill does not have a party colour – ECG MD
- MFWA to hold national-level forum on misinformation, peace and democratic consolidation today
- MFWA builds capacity of journalists in fact-checking
- We have developed key interventions to safeguard clients pension funds- Enterprise Trustees
- ECG building dockets on those who have stolen power – Samuel Mahama
- Digitalisation to help reduce ECG’s commercial losses – Samuel Mahama
- ECG mass disconnection campaign to be sustained indefinitely – Samuel Mahama
- We’ll meter all distribution transformers to fight power theft – Samuel Mahama
- Former Accra Regional Hospital Medical Director files nomination for Garu