Nigerian Afrobeats star D’banj has been released from the custody of Nigeria’s anti-corruption agency, ICPC, the musician’s lawyer has said.
“The ICPC released D’banj… after the agency could not find anything incriminating on him,” said a statement signed by Pelumi Olajengbesi, D’banj’s lawyer.
D’banj was arrested earlier this week on allegations of fraud after millions of dollars meant to help unemployed youths start businesses was reported missing.
The artist – whose real name is Oladapo Daniel Oyebanjo – has claimed to be the brand ambassador for the scheme, turned himself in.
The N-Power initiative was launched in 2016 by President Muhammadu Buhari.
But many beneficiaries have complained for months that they were not receiving their grants.
Nigeria’s anti-corruption agencies said in a statement on Wednesday that “billions of naira” had been diverted.
D’banj’s lawyer said it was an “embarrassment to the entire country that such a huge allegation [was made] against a public figure without any evidence”.
The anti-corruption agency is yet to respond to the BBC’s request for comment.
- Woman ordered to refund $80k after she refuses to marry man who paid her fees
- Suspected food poisoning: Waakye kills 5 including pregnant woman
- We were never consulted on NDC Parliamentary leadership reshuffle – Muntaka Mubarak
- Debt Exchange Programme: Government reaches agreement with Ghana Insurers Association
- Stonebwoy thanks Asamoah Gyan for paying for his surgery 7 years ago
- Financial crisis has affected my GH¢106k investment – Agyinasare
- Minority Leadership reshuffle an affront to dignity of NDC Caucus – Dr. Dominic Ayine
- Consultations are not mandatory – Dr. Spio-Garbrah on change in Minority leadership
- Haruna Iddrisu disclaims posts on Facebook, Twitter handles purported to be his
- Haruna Iddrisu, Muntaka Mubarak still leaders of Minority Caucus – Cletus Avoka
- KNUST findings cite reduction in green areas for increased flooding in Kumasi
- Develop a positive attitude – Apostle Nyamekye advises Ghanaians
- The Spanish town powered by waves
- GES commiserates with bereaved families of 8 drowned pupils
- Black Sherif bags 5 nominations from Soundcity MVP Awards
- 47th SWAG Awards gala set for Saturday, January 28
- Government reaches deal with Securities Industry Association to sign up for Domestic Debt Exchange
- No amount of petitions and press conferences can reverse NDC’s new parliamentary leadership – Ras Mubarak
- Climate change reporting shouldn’t always be about doom – Lecturer
- A sex scene with Jim Iyke almost got me expelled from university – Actress
- BBC News presenter gets emotional in last ever sign-off
- Kenyan court convicts Venezuelan diploma of murder
- Is Iñaki Williams favourite to win LaLiga African MVP award?
- Woman arrested for enrolling as high school student
- Ukraine declares war on its other enemy, corruption