Audio By Carbonatix
Niger's government has said that the number of soldiers killed in last week's attack on a military base has reached 89.
It is the highest number of casualties suffered by the army in a single attack since it started fighting Islamist militants who spillover from neighbouring Mali in 2015.
The government has declared three days of national mourning in honour of the soldiers killed in the Thursday night attack.
"After a thorough search, the toll has been established as 89 dead among friendly forces, and 77 dead for the enemy," government spokesman Zakaria Abdourahame announced on public radio.
Heavily armed Islamist militants attacked the army outpost in Chinegodar, in the west of the country, just a few kilometres from the border with Mali.
The attack happened close to where 71 soldiers were killed last month which the Islamic State group affiliate in the region said it had carried out.
The December attack spurred leaders of the G5 Sahel nations, Chad, Niger, Mali, Burkina Faso and Mauritania, to call for closer cooperation and international support in the battle against the Islamist threat.
France's president and his counterparts from the Sahel region are meeting on Monday to discuss military operations against Islamist militants in West Africa.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
International Day of the Boy Child marked in Accra
12 minutes -
BoG losses will not recur at last year’s scale — Governor Asiama assures
26 minutes -
Without trust, digital finance is just technology – BoG Governor
49 minutes -
Mental disorders increase by 95.5% globally since 1990 – Study
50 minutes -
See the areas that will be affected by ECG’s planned maintenance on May 25
51 minutes -
Fire destroys six-bedroom house in Koforidua
2 hours -
Government deploys armoured buses disguised as VIP, STC and OA coaches to fight highway robberies
2 hours -
GES director raises alarm over 300 teacher deficits in the Asutifi North District
2 hours -
Ghana’s Isaac Nii Ayetey Tagoe wins bronze at Oran World Para Powerlifting 2026
4 hours -
FHU alumnus launches medical textbook
4 hours -
Ghana’s Isaac Obeng clinches bronze at Oran World Para Powerlifting 2026
5 hours -
Rescuers search for more than 20 trapped after Philippines building collapse
5 hours -
Publican AI and the A–B–C Corridor
5 hours -
Blast targeting train kills at least 20 in Pakistan
5 hours -
Attacks on Ebola centres intensify in eastern DRC amid outbreak fears
5 hours