The Ghana Hajj Board says it will refund the monies of Muslim pilgrims who could not travel to Mecca for this year’s spiritual exercise.
A statement issued by the Communications Director of the Board, Abdul Rahman Gomda, said all affected persons would receive their refunds after the Hajj “when the key officials are available for proper reconciliation.”
However, the pilgrims can retrieve their passports at the Accra Hajj Village.
“We sincerely express remorse for the inconvenience caused by the unintended developments, which have never happened in our six years of operations,” the statement added.
This comes after some Muslim pilgrims expected to travel to Mecca expressed disappointment in their leadership for being left stranded at the Accra Hajj Village for hours.
According to some of them, all their passports had been withheld by the Hajj Board, while some alleged that their names had been intentionally removed from the final list of travellers.
They added the Hajj Board promised to prioritise the 2019 batch but they were not airlifted, despite proof of their documentation.
With diminished hopes, they swore to get their monies refunded.
“They said they cannot find my passport; I am broken, I don’t want to cry but it’s not easy. We were told those who paid in 2019 are going to be among the first passengers but that did not happen.
“The holiness of the whole issue, probably, the process is not as holy as the activity itself. Now, I am sitting here with no hope. This time, we are not going to leave the money with them,” they told JoyNews.
But according to Abdul Rahman Gomda, a number of factors accounted for the anomaly, saying they had just one month to go through all the relevant procedures and processes.
- Halt operations in Tano Nimiri Forest Reserve – Lands Ministry tells Chairman ‘Wontumi”s mining company
- Directive for Chairman Wontumi’s mining firm to stop work not enough, A-G must step in – OccupyGhana
- Prosecution is an attempt to tarnish his reputation – Danadams Pharmaceuticals CEO lawyers
- Video of alleged ‘galamsey’ men in gun battle with authorities emerges on social media
- GRA set to roll out E-invoicing from tomorrow October 1
- Labour MP suspended, apologises after calling Chancellor Kwasi Kwarteng ‘superficially’ black
- Ghanaian footballer in the US dies in car crash
- Good Morning America celebrates Ghana as host Robin Roberts explores the country
- I won’t think twice about a Ghana call-up – Salis Abdul Samed
- In pictures: Tears flow as murdered nurse applicant’s body arrives in her hometown
- Asantehene insists chiefs cannot be blamed for galamsey activities
- Galamsey fight: DCEs must get fired – John Awuah
- ‘My husband either reaches Europe or dies at sea’
- King Charles and late Queen will both feature on new 50p coins
- ‘The empty headedness of the youth was good enough to vote you into power’ – Senyo Hosi to KT Hammond
- Nick Cannon is now a dad of 10: Inside his growing family tree
- Burkina Faso unrest: Military officers remove leader Damiba
- Inadequate personnel and logistics support hampering work at Elubo border – Customs Division Officer
- Brazil voters: ‘Our candidate isn’t perfect, but he beats the alternative’
- Rocky Dawuni speaks on Kirani Ayat’s copyright case against GTA
- Livestream: Newsfile discusses IMF programme, GNPC’s Genser deal
- We do not deploy soldiers to provide security for mining firms – Armed Forces
- GRA descends on 3 auto service stations for failing to issue VAT invoices to customers
- Show commitment to ‘galamsey’ fight by prosecuting Akonta Mining firm – John Jinapor dares government
- UK-based Hendon Golf Club donates to develop juvenile golf in Ghana