Audio By Carbonatix
The Electoral Commission says it will give holders of National Health Insurance Cards whose names were deleted from the electoral roll but could not register in the re-registration exercise another opportunity to re-register.
The said re-registration exercise will take place from the August 5 to 12, 2016.
The decision was announced on Wednesday at an Inter-Party Advisory Committee (IPAC) meeting.
In compliance with a ruling by the Supreme Court last month, the EC deleted over 56,000 names of NHIS card registrants from the register following a petition by the People National Convention's Abu Ramadan and one Evans Nimako.
Abu Ramadan and Evans Nimako were challenging the credibility of the electoral roll and prayed the court to order the creation of a new one.
The petitioners argued the voters register was compromised because of the addition of NHIS card holders and wanted a new register compiled. By the court's own previous ruling, not all persons holding NHIS cards are Ghanaians for which reason the cards cannot be the legal document for a national registration exercise.
The court did not order rather order the EC to compile a new register. It rather ordered the deletion of the NHIS card registrants since it was against the constitution.
The judges also ordered the EC to re-register persons whose names have been deleted from the register an opportunity to register.
However, after 10 days of the re registration exercise concerns have been raised about low turn out with the possibility that over 30,000 people may have been disenfranchised.
The EC has therefore decided to organize another exercise to capture the remaining registrants.
Acting General Secretary of the New Patriotic Party, John Boadu expressed satisfaction with the EC’s decision.
Meanwhile, the EC has also set aside August 19 and 26, 2016 for a continous registration exercise.
According to the EC, this will aloow members of the general public who could not get their names on the register during the limited registration exercise or have recently turned 18 years to register.
Latest Stories
-
Education Minister engages university administrators over ongoing strike
49 minutes -
Technological convergence, disruptive innovation and the future of youth education in Ghana
1 hour -
When the sirens become a national anthem: confronting Ghana’s road accident crisis
2 hours -
Aksa bribery scandal exposes deeper failures in Ghana’s procurement system – Manhyia South MP
2 hours -
Luv FM High School Debate: KNUST, St. Louis strike gold as quarter-finals dreams come alive
2 hours -
Banks’ pre-tax profit jumps 40% to GH¢23bn
2 hours -
Luv FM High School Debate: Anticipation builds as schools battle for supremacy in Round of 16
3 hours -
Banking sector deposits jump 25% to GH¢334.3bn in 2025 — PwC
3 hours -
Hostel Owners Association bares teeth over legality of rent control campaign against exorbitant fees
3 hours -
GCB overtakes Ecobank as Ghana’s largest deposit-taking bank
3 hours -
Young Cocoa Farmers petition Mahama over funding, producer price and start date for new cocoa season
3 hours -
Ruha Benjamin challenges Africa to shape its own AI future
3 hours -
Trump threatens to bomb US ally Oman if it ‘gets in the way’ over Iran deal
3 hours -
FIFA sacks senior executive who criticised Infantino, Sky News understands
3 hours -
Aksa saga: Don’t turn EOCO-OSP roles into turf war – Deputy AG
4 hours